June MCC Round 3 - Proper Planning

bravelion83
OTJ MCC going on now
Pronoun: he / him

Post by bravelion83 » 1 week ago

MCC-OTJ.png
(This month's banner is my own elaboration on the art of the card Hell to pay by Liiga Smilshkalne)

June MCC Round 3

Proper Planning

As is tradition by now, this month we will celebrate the latest premier set, in this case Outlaws of Thunder Junction, by exploring its mechanics and themes, as usual in this kind of MCC months.

Every outlaw has a goal to reach and they have to plot and make plans to achieve it. So, why are you here? What's your plot, outlaw?

Main Challenge - Design a noncreature nonland card that has the plot mechanic, that has a color identity that stays within the one of your outlaw persona from Round 1, and that has the intended flavor below.

INTENDED FLAVOR: this is the final goal of your outlaw persona from Round 1, the reason why they've come to Thunder Junction in the first place.

(Suggestion: answer the question "What do they want from their visit to Thunder Junction?", or "Why have they come to Thunder Junction?" Like, for example, Oko wanted to get to open the vault, whatever it contained, as he had been hired by Ashiok... uhm, I mean Jace, exactly to do so. And Jace himself actually wanted to get to Loot. Vraska wanted to betray Oko to further her and Jace's plans. Kellan wanted to find his biological father, until he discovered who said father really is and regretted it, something that everybody who followed the official story was screaming to him through the fourth wall since Wilds of Eldraine. But what about you? What does your outlaw persona want here on Thunder Junction?)

Note: the intended flavor IS part of the Main Challenge and how well your submission represents it WILL be judged in the Main Challenge section of the rubric. Judges CAN deduct points there if they feel the required flavor isn't represented well enough on your card. You CANNOT use any design notes, etc... to explain your card's flavor, only the flavor elements of the card. There is NO exception to the "no extra content" rule this month.
This "intended flavor" part will be there in all rounds this month as a part of the Main Challenge, and it's an example of a Main Challenge that isn't binary (yes/no), so judges CAN and WILL use the whole spectrum of points in the Main Challenge section of the rubric.

Subchallenge 1 - Your card's plot cost includes a non-mana component. (1 point)

Subchallenge 2 - Choose one or both —
• Your card has at least one subtype. (0.5 points)
• Your card has at least one supertype. (0.5 points)

Clarifications
Show
Hide
None so far.

If you have any more questions, feel free to post them in the MCC discussion thread.
You can also check out the MCC Guidelines and FAQ if you have the will and time. You can find it in a low size PDF version attached to this post and you can also find the link to the original higher size PDF in my signature. They are the same document, I just had to compress it more to be able to put it here as an attachment as the original file, the one linked in my signature, is too large to be attached here. Among the many things you can find there are a detailed explanation of the rubric (section 6.2) and the recommended card formatting (section 4) that you should use to format your text cards. Expect deductions in Quality otherwise.

DEADLINES

Design deadline: Saturday, June 22nd 2024 at 23:59 Eastern Time

Judging deadline: Tuesday, June 25th 2024 at 23:59 Eastern Time

Eventual time extensions required WILL eat time from the next round to realign with the calendar, so please ask them only if you really need them. This is for both players and judges. As a reminder, here is the calendar:
June MCC calendar
Show
Hide
MCC-OTJ-calendar.png
You can also see the judge signup thread for more info about this month's MCC.

RUBRIC
MCC Rubric
Show
Hide
The MCC Rubric is given below, in an easily "copy and pasted" form. (Courtesy of Rithaniel.)

Code: Select all

[b]Design[/b]
[b](X/3) Appeal[/b] - Do the different player psychographics (Timmy/Johhny/Spike) have a use for the card?
[b](X/3) Elegance[/b] - Is the card easily understandable at a glance? Do all the flavor and mechanics combined as a whole make sense?

[b]Development[/b]
[b](X/3) Viability[/b] - How well does the card fit into the color wheel? Does it break or bend the rules of the game? Is it the appropriate rarity?
[b](X/3) Balance[/b] - Does the card have a power level appropriate for contemporary constructed/limited environments without breaking them? Does it play well in casual and multiplayer formats? Does it create or fit into a deck/archetype? Does it create an oppressive environment?

[b]Creativity[/b]
[b](X/3) Uniqueness[/b] - Has a card like this ever been printed before? Does it use new mechanics, ideas, or design space? Does it combine old ideas in a new way? Overall, does it feel "fresh"?
[b](X/3) Flavor[/b] - Does the name seem realistic for a card? Does the flavor text sound professional? Do all the flavor elements synch together to please Vorthos players?

[b]Polish[/b]
[b](X/3) Quality[/b] - Points deducted for incorrect spelling, grammar, and templating.
[b](X/2) Main Challenge (*)[/b] - Was the main challenge satisfied? Was it approached in a unique or interesting way? Does the card fit the intent of the challenge?
[b](X/2) Subchallenges[/b] - One point awarded per satisfied subchallenge condition.

[b]Total: X/25[/b]
*An entry with 0 points here is subject to disqualification.

JUDGES

bravelion83
void_nothing

PLAYERS

This is the versus round. Pairings are determined by the sum of scores from previous rounds: 1st vs. 4th, 2nd vs. 5th, 3rd vs. 6th. Here are the sums:

1st place - slimytrout: 22.5 + 22 = 44.5
2nd - Sagharri: 22 + 20.5 = 42.5
3rd - AnotherAlias: 20.5 + 21 = 41.5
4th - netn10: 19 + 22 = 41
5th - Komandon: 21 + 19.5 = 40.5
6th - MonoRedMage: 22.5 + 18 = 40.5

I've considered the most recent score (that from Round 2) as a tiebreaker between Komandon and MonoRedMage (respectively 19.5 and 18). That said, we already know the pairings:

slimytrout vs. netn10
Sagharri vs. Komandon
AnotherAlias vs. MonoRedMage

For convenience and reference, here are the Round 1 submissions of the "surviving" players:

@AnotherAlias
AnotherAlias's Round 1 submission
Show
Hide
AnotherAlias wrote:
3 weeks ago
Xharinoph, Maniacal Acolyte
Legendary Creature — Vampire Warlock (M)
Lifelink
Whenever you gain life during your turn, you lose that much life.
Whenever you lose life during your turn, add . Until end of turn, you don't lose this mana as steps and phases end.
"It's quite simple, don't you see? Or perhaps… Perhaps you cannot see. Fear not, you will, yes, you will, in due time… Yes…"
2/3
@Komandon
Komandon's Round 1 submission
Show
Hide
Komandon wrote:
2 weeks ago
Oriq Perfectionist 2B
Creature — Human Warlock (rare)
W, T: Discard a card: Return target spell to its owners hand. Note the name of that spell.
Whenever an opponent casts a spell with a name that is noted, they loses life equal to its mana value. That spell's name is no longer noted.
"Only casting spells at the ideal moment will do or else."
2/2
@MonoRedMage
MonoRedMage's Round 1 submission
Show
Hide
MonoRedMage wrote:
2 weeks ago
Oggyar Plunderer 3R
Creature - Ogre Pirate {M}
When Oggyar Plunderer enters the battlefield, create a tapped Blood token, a tapped Map token, and a tapped Treasure token.
Whenever an artifact with one or more subtypes enters the battlefield under your control, that artifact deals 1 damage to any target.
6U: Return Oggyar Plunderer to its owner's hand.
"Ganathog hungers for many things, all in their own way."
3/2
@netn10
netn10's Round 1 submission
Show
Hide
netn10 wrote:
2 weeks ago
That Man in Black Suit CC
Legendary Creature - Alien Rogue (Mythic)
T: Put an implant counter on target creature. (Implanted creatures are 3/4 green Aliens as long as you control a Mothership Vehicle.)
2UU, T: Gain control of target implanted Alien.
4GG, T: Create Eclipse of Thousand Suns, legendary colorless 9/12 artifact Mothership Vehicle with flying, trample, ward 6 and crew 6.
3/4
@Sagharri
Sagharri's Round 1 submission
Show
Hide
Sagharri wrote:
3 weeks ago
Grimaz, Ever Hunger 1BG
Legendary Creature - Boar Rogue (R)
Devour artifact and/or creature 1 (As this enters the battlefield, you may sacrifice any number of artifacts and/or creatures. This creature enters the battlefield with that many +1/+1 counters on it.)
When Grimaz, Ever Hunger enters the battlefield, target opponent sacrifices a creature with lesser power.
"Gold or life? I'll take both."
2/2
@slimytrout
slimytrout's Round 1 submission
Show
Hide
slimytrout wrote:
2 weeks ago
Cardo, Diamond Dealer 1BR
Legendary Creature — Devil Rogue (R)
When Cardo, Diamond Dealer enters, create a Treasure token.
1BR, Sacrifice an artifact: Cardo deals 1 damage to target opponent and each creature they control. Activate only as a sorcery.
"Back home, these'll scour the skin clean off your bones. Here there're chumps who'll pay for 'em!"
3/3

A reminder to everyone: In the MCC, putting rarity on cards is mandatory! If you don't put a rarity on your card, expect huge deductions in both Viability AND Quality.
Last edited by bravelion83 17 hours ago, edited 2 times in total.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | The June MCC is ongoing. Theme is OTJ. Most recent thread: Round 4 (finals). Design deadline on the 29th.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 25th 2024 - Added TLL #5).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on June 4th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (31): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024 || Judge (59): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar Jun 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (4): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022, Apr 2024 || Host (16): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024

Sagharri

Post by Sagharri » 1 week ago

Blossoming Burst 4GG
Kindred Enchantment — Plant (R)
When Blossoming Burst enters the battlefield, put three +1/+1 counters on each Desert you control. They become 0/0 green Plant creatures that are still lands.
Plants you control get +1/+1 and have trample.
Plot — 3gg, Tap two untapped Plants you control.
Some call it a miracle. For others it is a cataclysm. For him, it was way to restore his home.

slimytrout
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by slimytrout » 1 week ago

The Devilseye Diamond 3
Legendary Artifact — Treasure (R)
T, Exile the top card of your library face down: Add one mana of any color.
T, Sacrifice The Devilseye Diamond: Turn each face-down card you own in exile face up. Add one mana of any color for each card turned face up this way. You may play those cards this turn.
Plot—Exile your hand face down. (You may exile The Devilseye Diamond from your hand and exile your hand face down. Cast this card as a sorcery on a later turn without paying its mana cost. Plot only as a sorcery.)

netn10

Post by netn10 » 5 days ago

Your World is Mine 2UU
Sorcery - Plan (Mythic)
Gain control of each creature with an implant counter on it.
At the beginning of your upkeep, if this card is plotted, you may pay 1G up to the number of Plan cards you plotted. For each time you paid, put an implant counter on target creature.
Plot CC, Tap two untapped Aliens, Motherships and/or creatures you control with an implant counter on them

bravelion83
OTJ MCC going on now

Post by bravelion83 » 5 days ago

30 hours to the design deadline. We're missing submissions from the following players:
@AnotherAlias
@Komandon
@MonoRedMage
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | The June MCC is ongoing. Theme is OTJ. Most recent thread: Round 4 (finals). Design deadline on the 29th.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 25th 2024 - Added TLL #5).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
Show
Hide
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (31): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024 || Judge (59): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar Jun 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (4): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022, Apr 2024 || Host (16): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024

Komandon

Post by Komandon » 5 days ago

Noiro, Extus's Legacy 4BB
Legendary creature — Horror (rare)
When Noiro, Extus's Legacy enters the battlefield, if it wasn't cast or if no mana was spent to cast it, each opponent sacrifices a nontoken creature.
Whenever a spellcaster dies, create a 3/4 black Horror creature token named Mage Hunter. It has "Whenever an opponent casts or copies an instant or sorcery spell, they lose 1 life." (Clerics, Druids, Shamans, Warlocks, and Wizards are spellcasters.)
Plot — Reveal a planeswalker or spellcaster card from your hand.
6/6

bravelion83
OTJ MCC going on now

Post by bravelion83 » 4 days ago

Only 6 hours left. @AnotherAlias @MonoRedMage

Show
Hide

AnotherAlias

Post by AnotherAlias » 4 days ago

Eyes of Gariphmos
Legendary Artifact
Indestructible
, Pay 2 life: Choose a nonland card type. Target opponent reveals a card of your choice from their hand. If that card has the chosen card type, that player discards it. Activate only as a sorcery.
, : Target player reveals X cards from their hand. Activate only as a sorcery.
Plot — Reveal your hand. Target opponent chooses a card from it. Discard that card.
"True sight, at last! My old eyes were but a small price to pay for such… freedom!"
—Xharinoph, Maniacal Acolyte

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 4 days ago

Ruby Reactor of Phoenon 4RR
Legendary Artifact - Powerstone {M}
At the beginning of your upkeep, create a token that's a copy of Ruby Reactor of Phoenon, except it isn't legendary.
T: Add C for each Powerstone you control. This mana can't be spent to cast nonartifact spells.
T: Target creature gets +1/+0 until end of turn for each Powerstone you control.
Fomori hands stole a beating Thran heart but could not control its power.

bravelion83
OTJ MCC going on now

Post by bravelion83 » 3 days ago

The round is closed. Both judges will judge every card. Pairings can be found in the OP.

Judgments complete. About 10 hours for eventual feedback.
Leo's Uniqueness table
Show
Hide
Source: The Lion's Lair #11 - Monthly (Card Contest) review

3: this is a card that does something never done before, not even on a single card.
2.5: this is a card that has an effect that is rarely seen in modern Magic, but not very often.
2: this is a card that does something we've already seen but in a new way or with a new twist.
1.5: this is a card that does something we've already seen but without big innovations.
1: this is a card that does something we've already seen multiple times and doesn't innovate it in any way.
0.5: this is a card that does something we see all the time in real sets, and maybe there is only some little detail we've not seen before.
0: this is a card that does something we see all the time in real sets and in a way we also see all the time in real sets.
Microtext limits (for reference)
Show
Hide
bravelion83 wrote:
1 year ago
In the M15 frame, you can have:
• Up to eight lines with however many breaks you want.
• Nine lines with up to four breaks. If you have more than four breaks, it's microtext.
• Ten lines with up to two breaks. If you have more than two breaks, it's microtext.
• Eleven lines and a single break. If you have more than one break, it's microtext.
• If you have twelve lines of more, it's microtext regardless of breaks.
bravelion83 wrote:
1 year ago
In the MSE M15 frame you can have at most:
• Eight lines or fewer with any number of paragraph breaks.
• Nine lines with at most four breaks.
• Ten lines with at most two breaks.
• Eleven lines with a single break.
• Everything that is twelve lines or more is microtext regardless of breaks.

slimytrout vs. netn10
slimytrout
Show
Hide
slimytrout wrote:
1 week ago
The Devilseye Diamond 3
Legendary Artifact — Treasure (R)
T, Exile the top card of your library face down: Add one mana of any color.
T, Sacrifice The Devilseye Diamond: Turn each face-down card you own in exile face up. Add one mana of any color for each card turned face up this way. You may play those cards this turn.
Plot—Exile your hand face down. (You may exile The Devilseye Diamond from your hand and exile your hand face down. Cast this card as a sorcery on a later turn without paying its mana cost. Plot only as a sorcery.)
Design
Appeal 3/3 - Timmy likes a stronger Manalith. Johnny always likes strange cards like this. Spike likes the potential for card advantage, and also the fact that this can produce itself the mana you need to cast the exiled cards.
Elegance 2.5/3 - Ten lines and two breaks are borderline microtext but exactly on the limit, it doesn't go beyond it. That's still a sign that the text is long though, though it's still easy to understand.
Development
Viability 2/3 - This card badly need some red in my opinion. It's essentially a variation on impulsive draw, and red can also produce mana. This reminds me of Bomat Courier, which does have red in its color identity at least. I would have the mana cost be 2R here, if not even 1RR. Devils are red as a creature type, so the flavor would have fit anyway, if not be even stronger. No problems with rarity or the rules.
Balance 3/3 - Playable in limited, if nothing else for mana fixing. Bomat Courier saw a lot of constructed play, so I believe this card too might be well positioned to also see constructed play. No big problems in casual and multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 2.5/3 - As I've already said, this reminds me of Bomat Courier, but that's the only card that comes to my mind.
Flavor 3/3 - A legendary diamond that has ended up on Thunder Junction from Gobakhan makes perfect sense.
Polish
Quality 3/3 - All good.
Main Challenge 2/2 - All good, both the mandatory parts and the intended flavor. Your outlaw came from Gobakhan to Thunder Junction to steal this diamond. Perfect.
Subchallenges 2/2 - All met.
TOTAL 23/25

netn10
Show
Hide
netn10 wrote:
5 days ago
Your World is Mine 2UU
Sorcery - Plan (Mythic)
Gain control of each creature with an implant counter on it.
At the beginning of your upkeep, if this card is plotted, you may pay 1G up to the number of Plan cards you plotted. For each time you paid, put an implant counter on target creature.
Plot CC, Tap two untapped Aliens, Motherships and/or creatures you control with an implant counter on them
Design
Appeal 2.5/3 - Typical card that Timmy likes to play but hates to play against. Johnny can manipulate implant counters, using proliferate for example. Spike likes a multiple Mind Control for fewer mana in a vacuum, but then you have to keep into account the mana you have to spend and the tempo loss you have to take to put an implant counter on at least two permanents for this to be better than Mind Control.
Elegance 2/3 - As is, the second ability has serious comprehension issues, due to bad wording (see Viability and Quality). The text is also a bit long but still within microtext limits.
Development
Viability 1/3 - No problems with blue taking control of things, but I don't see much green in implant counters, and the mere act of putting a counter on something is not inherently green. Rarity is correct. As worded, the second ability, if it works at all, probably doesn't work as intended (see Quality).
Balance 2.5/3 - It will take quite some time for this to make a big play by itself. It's relevant that while you keep paying mana to put implant counters on the creatures you want to steal, this card is in exile and very hard to deal with, much harder than if it were an enchantment on the battlefield. Probably playable in limited as part of a plot/implant counters archetype if you plan to go to the late game. I think this is too slow for competitive constructed. In casual, sure. Nothing to declare in multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 3/3 - Plan subtype, implant counters, colorless mana in a plot cost... There are a lot of things here that we've never seen before.
Flavor 3/3 - You're an alien and you want to invade a foreign world? What easier way than to implant most of all of its inhabitants and then abduct them? Yes, it works.
Polish
Quality 0/3 - "Hyphen instead of em dash in the type line while your direct opponent got it right. (-0.5) Plot, as all keywords with parameters, wants an em dash separating it from its cost with no spaces before or after it, which is missing here. (-0.5) The wording of the second ability is not clear and probably doesn't work as intended. There is a single instance of the word "target", so all implant counters will go on the same single creature, you can't distribute them. And anyway, a couple very relevant words are missing in the part that allows you to pay 1G multiple times. Also, you have to choose the target before you even get a chance to pay that mana. (-1 for functional mistake.) This is the exact reason why they invented reflexive triggers, and that's what I believe that ability should be. I would word it something like the following:
At the beginning of your upkeep, if this card is plotted, you may pay 1G up to X times, where X is the number of plotted Plan cards you own in exile. Whenever you pay that cost, put an implant counter on target creature.
This way, you can distribute the implant counters, and you can choose multiple targets to get implant counters, as each time you pay the 1G the reflexive trigger triggers, so you have a stack (literally) of reflexive triggers, each one with its own targets, and different instances of a triggered ability can have different targets. I believe this is how this card was intended to work. Finally, a comma is missing between "Motherships" and "and/or" (-0.5), and a full stop/period is missing at the end of the plot ability (-0.5)."
Main Challenge 2/2 - Aliens conquering worlds. The message comes loud and clear. The mandatory parts are all met.
Subchallenges 1.5/2 - All met except the supertype.
TOTAL 17.5/25

Sagharri vs. Komandon
Sagharri
Show
Hide
Sagharri wrote:
1 week ago
Blossoming Burst 4GG
Kindred Enchantment — Plant (R)
When Blossoming Burst enters the battlefield, put three +1/+1 counters on each Desert you control. They become 0/0 green Plant creatures that are still lands.
Plants you control get +1/+1 and have trample.
Plot — 3gg, Tap two untapped Plants you control.
Some call it a miracle. For others it is a cataclysm. For him, it was way to restore his home.
Design
Appeal 2.5/3 - Timmy likes to animate his lands permanently. Johnny can manipulate the counters and the lands themselves in unintended ways. Three 4/4s for six mana, or potentially five, does appeal to Spike, even though she'd probably like for the animated land to have indestructible or something like that. She doesn't like to turn her opponent's creature removal spells into land destruction.
Elegance 2.5/3 - Nine lines and three breaks according to MSE, still within microtext limits even though just barely. This is a perfect example of a card what would have benefitted from you already using the shorter "enters" template that will start with Bloomburrow, as it would cut a whole line here without changing the meaning of the text. Remember, you can already do that in the MCC. Both ways are acceptable until Bloomburrow's prerelease, after that only the new one will be. The text is still very easy to understand though.
Development
Viability 3/3 - No problems with the color pie, rarity, or the rules.
Balance 3/3 - An easy one for once! Totally playable in limited, and maybe in constructed too. I see no problems in casual or multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 1.5/3 - Animating lands is nothing new.
Flavor 3/3 - This flavor in itself is very strong, and I have nothing but praises for it.
Polish
Quality 2.5/3 - When a keyword has a non-mana component as part of its cost, there are no spaces right before and after the em dash (see for example flashback on Deep Analysis or Light Up the Night, -0.5).
Main Challenge 1/2 - Mandatory parts are good. As for the intended flavor, what I get is that your outlaw somehow wants to "restore his home" via "a cataclysm" that I guess is what this card is supposed to represent. But why does he want to "restore his home"? What's broken on his home plane? What is this "cataclysm" that others call "a miracle"? I guess it involves the sudden and impressive growth of plants, but why do plants growing help him in restoring his home? The flavor this round was intended to give answers, but here I feel it poses even more questions rather than answering the questions that have been established before.
Subchallenges 1.5/2 - Kindred is a card type, not a supertype, so Subchallenge 2.2 is failed. The Plant subtype does count for Subchallenge 2.1 though. There is a non-mana component in the plot cost.
TOTAL 20.5/25

Komandon (EDIT - DQ)
Show
Hide
Komandon wrote:
5 days ago
Noiro, Extus's Legacy 4BB
Legendary creature — Horror (rare)
When Noiro, Extus's Legacy enters the battlefield, if it wasn't cast or if no mana was spent to cast it, each opponent sacrifices a nontoken creature.
Whenever a spellcaster dies, create a 3/4 black Horror creature token named Mage Hunter. It has "Whenever an opponent casts or copies an instant or sorcery spell, they lose 1 life." (Clerics, Druids, Shamans, Warlocks, and Wizards are spellcasters.)
Plot — Reveal a planeswalker or spellcaster card from your hand.
6/6
Design
Appeal 3/3 - Big monster for Timmy. That intervening if clause in the first ability tempts Johnny a lot. The copy trigger also does. Spike sees a Titan that could even be cast for free at the mere cost of revealing a card and waiting a single turn, and with multiple upsides on top of that!
Elegance 2.5/3 - This is exactly at microtext limits (ten lines and two breaks), but it doesn't go beyond them so it's not technically microtext. The text is still long though, and that can't be ignored, even if of course that's a way less serious problem. It's also still very easy to understand. It's just long, that's all.
Development
Balance 1/3 - There is one thing that really scares me here: the ease of deploying a game-winning threat on turn two without paying any mana. Keep any hand that has this and a spellcaster. Turn 1, reveal the spellcaster to plot this. Turn 2, cast this from exile without paying its mana cost, which by the way makes the edict ability trigger because it meets its intervening if clause. Enjoy your 6/6 on turn two that kills whatever your opponent might have played on their turn 1. I believe this is too much, and that there should have been a mana component in the plot cost, and not even a cheap one. As is, it would probably see play in every format, but not for good reasons. I'm very hesitant to use the word "broken", but I feel like this comes very close. It being "each opponent" makes this even worse in multiplayer in perms of potential brokenness.
Creativity
Uniqueness 3/3 - The spellcaster batch is easy design space in my opinion, but still something that we've never seen before. The rest of the card uses known elements in a slightly unusual way, and that also helps here.
Flavor 3/3 - This uses known element of Strixhaven's story in a coherent and plausible way. Well done.
Polish
Quality 1.5/3 - Card types on the type line are always capitalized in English, and "creature" is not here. -1 for well-known templating fact. It's in other languages (French comes to mind) that the capitalization is different, but just like Oracle, Gatherer, and the CR, here too we consider the English one to be the official version of the card. When a keyword that has a cost as a parameter has no mana component, there are no spaces right before and after the em dash (see for example flashback on Lava Dart or Prismatic Strands, -0.5).
Main Challenge 1.50/2 - Mandatory parts are NOT good. This is a creature and the Main Challenge asked for a "noncreature nonland card". I honestly don't know why I didn't catch it, but I didn't, so here we are. I'm really sorry. This tells me that your outlaw, who is an Oriq (Extus's organization) from Arcavios, wants to either take revenge on Extus for some unknown reason (maybe this horror is the Blood Avatar itself in a different incarnation?) by killing his legacy, or recapture their head's legacy after it escaped and ended on Thunder Junction, probably via omenpaths. Either way would be good, too bad I can't understand which one it was intended to be.
Subchallenges 2/2 - All met.
TOTAL DQ (would be 20.5/25)

AnotherAlias vs. MonoRedMage
AnotherAlias
Show
Hide
AnotherAlias wrote:
4 days ago
Eyes of Gariphmos
Legendary Artifact
Indestructible
, Pay 2 life: Choose a nonland card type. Target opponent reveals a card of your choice from their hand. If that card has the chosen card type, that player discards it. Activate only as a sorcery.
, : Target player reveals X cards from their hand. Activate only as a sorcery.
Plot — Reveal your hand. Target opponent chooses a card from it. Discard that card.
"True sight, at last! My old eyes were but a small price to pay for such… freedom!"
—Xharinoph, Maniacal Acolyte
Design
Appeal 1.5/3 - Not a card for Timmy. Johnny likes the strangeness of this card. Spike sees potential for card advantage, but it's probably too slow for her taste, and she also doesn't like to reveal her own information to her opponents.
Elegance 1/3 - The text is long and a bit convoluted. The gameplay involves high tracking complexity at the very least. The plot ability as is doesn't work and many players, especially less experienced ones, won't even understand why.
Development
Viability 0/3 - Rarity is missing, and this makes all the rest irrelevant. A card can't be printed without rarity. Also, a cost can't target, as is in the plot ability here.
Balance 1.5/3 - I'm not sure this would make the cut in limited, it's discard and thus potential card advantage, but very slow. For sure, too slow for competitive constructed. The choice of which opponent to target might be relevant in multiplayer. No problems in casual. The real problems are in Viability, not here.
Creativity
Uniqueness 1.5/3 - The way this works is unique, and that's good. Targeting in a cost is also unique, but that's bad, as it's not allowed by the rules. Those essentially cancel each other out here.
Flavor 3/3 - The best part of this card, easily.
Polish
Quality 0.5/3 - Missing rarity is also a problem here, and a serious one, so -1 for that. "If that card has the chosen card type" should be "If that's a card of the chosen type." (-0.5) As I've already said, you can't target in a cost, so the plot cost should have said "An opponent chooses a card from it", not "Target opponent..." (-1 for functional mistake)."
Main Challenge 0.5/2 - Not a DQ because technically this card has plot, though it's not functional as you can't target in a cost, so it might just as well not have it. The intended flavor and the other mandatory parts are there, but I can't ignore the fact that this card having plot is just a technicality and not functional.
Subchallenges 1.5/2 - No subtype, but one supertype. Non-mana component in the plot cost.
TOTAL 11/25

MonoRedMage (DQ)
Show
Hide
MonoRedMage wrote:
4 days ago
Ruby Reactor of Phoenon 4RR
Legendary Artifact - Powerstone {M}
At the beginning of your upkeep, create a token that's a copy of Ruby Reactor of Phoenon, except it isn't legendary.
T: Add C for each Powerstone you control. This mana can't be spent to cast nonartifact spells.
T: Target creature gets +1/+0 until end of turn for each Powerstone you control.
Fomori hands stole a beating Thran heart but could not control its power.
Design
Appeal 2/3 - Timmy likes to use exponential mana to cast big artifact creatures. Pair this with something like Blightsteel Colossus or similar, and with Tron lands in older formats, and you will have a lot of mana very quickly and a very good finisher. Johnny can use the tokens and colorless mana in unusual ways. Spike doesn't really want at six mana something that gives her even more mana. For that much mana, she wants something that can close the game by itself.
Elegance 2/3 - Nine lines and three breaks, long but still within limits. We know the mana restriction on the Powerstone mana ability isn't the easiest templating to mentally process, even though there are reasons why it has to be worded like that and anyway it's not your fault. The worse thing here is the text length, even if it's still easily understandable.
Development
Balance 2.5/3 - I'm happy this has a high mana cost, as the growth of mana production here is exponential, literally. One of these produces one mana. Two of these produce two mana each, for a total of four. Three make three mana each, nine total. And so on. Thankfully the Powerstone restriction keeps you from using all that mana for whatever you want, but there are things to do, which will be relevant in constructed, especially older formats. The power pumping also gets exponential, which may be relevant in limited. Nothing changes in casual or multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 1.5/3 - Nothing really new here. We've seen this all before, just not together.
Flavor 3/3 - Perfect. Very well written, and I feel like this hides even more old established lore that I can't see.
Polish
Quality 3/3 - Hyphen instead of em dash in the type line, but no deduction as your direct opponent didn't get it right. The rest is all good.
Main Challenge 0/2 - This card doesn't have plot as requested by the Main Challenge. This is a DQ unfortunately.
Subchallenges 1/2 - Impossible to judge Subchallenge 1 without plot. Both modes of Subchallenge 2 are met.
TOTAL 18/25DQ

Too bad for this DQ, if you only had added plot here you would have easily advanced to the final round. I'm sorry. See you next month.

Results
Show
Hide
slimytrout: 23
netn10: 17.5

Sagharri: 20.5
Komandon: DQ (would be 20.5/25)

AnotherAlias: 11
MonoRedMage: DQ (would be 18/25)
Last edited by bravelion83 17 hours ago, edited 1 time in total.

Show
Hide

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor
Answers: 127

Post by void_nothing » 1 day ago

Two disqualifications in the versus round is a really unfortunate coincidence.
Sagharri
Show
Hide
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - Txmmy's appeal here is pretty obvious. Jxnny is definitely the one brewing Deserts and Plants.dek. might be a bit slow for Spike but they do appreciate a finisher like this one.
(2.5/3) Elegance - A bit wordy and involves some tracking complexity (turning Deserts into creatures with counters), but doesn't do anything all that complicated.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Definitely feels green, rare, and what's more, like a Plant.
(3/3) Balance - No issues here. A bomby effect for sure, but with a relatively high cost either hardcast or plotted and relying on a specific nonbasic land type.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - Definitely doesn't do anything specifically unique, but has a unique combination of effects and things it cares about.
(3/3) Flavor - This works really well - I guess your Round 1 card comes from a deforested plane?

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looks good.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Done.
(1.5/2) Subchallenges - Has a subtype, but not a supertype.

Total: 22.5/25
slimytrout
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal - Txmmy, Jxnny, and Spike are actually all into this for their own distinct yet similar reasons.
(2/3) Elegance - There are a few things going on here, including the unusualness of turning any face-down exiled cards face up.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - It does throw me a bit that a Treasure doesn't have "the" Treasure ability, but as Glittering Stockpile shows, apparently any ability that allows you to tap and sac for mana of any color is fine. This kind of toes the line between rare and mythic given its complexity, power level, and the iconic nature of the card it's referencing.
(1/3) Balance - As mentioned above, there's a lot of potential power here. In fact I'd say it'd even be ripe for abuse. No mana in the plot cost is worrying; the easy possible access to seven-plus mana on turn 2 is something I would want to look out for in any format.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - Probably one of the most unique mana rock/lotus variants I've seen designed in quite a while. This card plays with the exile zone in a really interesting way.
(3/3) Flavor - Yup, I buy this as your character's specific special diamond.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looks fine.
(2/2) Subchallenges - And done.

Total: 21.5/25
netn10
Show
Hide
Design
(1.5/3) Appeal - Partially a Txmmy card (although they might not be a fan of how "do-nothing" it is without support). Jxnny definitely wants to build this deck, but Spike probably wouldn't even use this in a competitive version of the archetype due to the slowness, resource cost, and unreliability.
(1/3) Elegance - Heck of a lot going on here in terms of mechanical terminology and tracking, and even different mana symbols (obligate colorless in the plot cost).

Development
(3/3) Viability - Blue and mythic look right. I'm not going to comment on the triggered ability's cost because from what you've shown, implant counters are presumably green.
(2.75/3) Balance - Not going to mark this off by too much but although gaining control of multiple creatures is obviously very powerful, the parasitic mechanics and high level of setup of this card make it basically bulk-mythic level in most contexts and absolutely undraftable unless you're all-in on its theme.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - Uniqueness level, particularly in terms of caring about what cards are plotted, is very high.
(3/3) Flavor - Yup, that's clearly what your character wants: Assimilation/world domination.

Polish
(1.5/3) Quality - Triggered ability could use wholesale rewording: "At the beginning of your upkeep, if Your World is Mine is plotted, you may pay 1G up to X times, where X is the number of plotted Plan cards you own. When you do, put an implant counter on each of up to X target creatures." Meanwhile, the plot cost itself needs a dash.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Looks good.
(1.5/2) Subchallenges - Subtype, but no supertype.

Total: 19.25/25
Komandon
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal - Probably an all-rounder - Txmmy for the size and token creation, Jxnny for the spellcaster aristocrats deck potential, Spike for the, well, sheer power for free.
(1/3) Elegance - This introduces new batching terminology, adds something else to the batch in the plot cost, creates a fairly complex token, and is very wordy - surely this is a use case for the new MH3 "create a CARDNAME token" technology.

Development
(2.75/3) Viability - Definitely black; there is, however, an argument that this would have to be mythic for multiple reasons.
(0/3) Balance - So the issue here is that plot cost. Revealing a specific card from your hand is only a deckbuilding cost, and with five creature types and a whole (admittedly scarce, but strong) card type to choose from, there's very little you're giving up here. You can think of this as a 0 6/6 that at least causes some removal when it ETBs. The Mage Hunter creation ability is just gravy.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - Plenty of uniqueness going on here. I do think you just should have made planeswalkers part of the spellcaster batch. (This means that Wizard and Warlock would each be part of two creature type batches... but hey, Rogue already is.)
(3/3) Flavor - Yeah, an Oriq member would want to have a creature that Extus summoned. Also definitely works with the Arcavios and Mage Hunter flavor.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - Capitalization issue in the type line.
(0/2) Main Challenge (*) - Unfortunately this is a creature card, requiring a DQ.
(2/2) Subchallenges - All done.

Total: 17.25/25
AnotherAlias
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Txmmy doesn't really see the appeal, but Jxnny likes the unusual functionality and Spike likes a repeatable disruption piece like this particularly against combos.
(1/3) Elegance - So this is not only quite the wordy card for what it does (basically a repeatable Coercion effect in the big picture), "reveals a card of your choice" doesn't quite work clearly within the rules as they exist.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - I'm assuming this is meant to be either rare or mythic, but with no rarity listed, I can't give you full points. Black of course makes sense.
(3/3) Balance - Sure, no issues here. It's repeated forced-discard, yeah, but a slow and expensive version of that.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - For what is ultimately a discard effect, there is a lot of new thinking going on here.
(3/3) Flavor - I definitely see (heh) why Gariphmos wants this back.

Polish
(1.5/3) Quality - Aside from the previously mentioned missing rarity, the plot ability needs to be reworded as costs can't target.
(1.5/2) Subchallenges - Supertype, but no subtype.

Total: 19.5/25
MonoRedMage
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal - Txmmy likes exponential growth. Jxnny has plenty of X-cost shenanigans in mind. Spike is ready to ramp this out and just let it go crazy.
(1/3) Elegance - Pretty wordy, and putting all those tokens onto the battlefield - one, then two, then four... - is just plain cluttery.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Definitely red and mythic.
(1/3) Balance - The doubling effect every upkeep is a huge concern here - even without outside Powerstone support, this quickly grows into a massive amount of mana/power increasing that can't be denied without using mass artifact removal.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - Not doing anything all that unique, but this explores interesting avenues for a "super Powerstone" type design.
(2/3) Flavor - I appreciate the deep lore reference and the nod to the Fomori connection of Maag Taranau, but I feel like going back all the way to the Thran Empire stretches timeline credibility somewhat. This does seem like something your character would really want, however, I must say.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looks good.
(0/2) Main Challenge (*) - As you noted yourself, you left off the plot mechanic, meaning this unfortunately is a DQ.
(1/2) Subchallenges - With no plot cost, obviously doesn't pass the first subchallenge, but hits both of the others.

Total: 16/25
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

bravelion83
OTJ MCC going on now

Post by bravelion83 » 17 hours ago

void_nothing wrote:
1 day ago
Two disqualifications in the versus round is a really unfortunate coincidence.
Good catch about Komandon's card, I didn't see it and I don't even know why. Anyway, final round coming in a few minutes.

Show
Hide

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”