June MCC Round 4 (finals) - Frantic Final

bravelion83
OTJ MCC going on now
Pronoun: he / him

Post by bravelion83 » 3 days ago

MCC-OTJ.png
(This month's banner is my own elaboration on the art of the card Hell to pay by Liiga Smilshkalne)

June MCC Round 4

Frantic Final

As is tradition by now, this month we will celebrate the latest premier set, in this case Outlaws of Thunder Junction, by exploring its mechanics and themes, as usual in this kind of MCC months.

After much plotting, you have finally achieved your goal on Thunder Junction! It's time to celebrate! And which better way to celebrate than going on a spree?

Main Challenge - Design an instant or sorcery card that has the spree mechanic, that has exactly the same color identity as your outlaw persona from Round 1, and that has the intended flavor below.

INTENDED FLAVOR: your outlaw persona from Round 1 celebrating the success of their plan on Thunder Junction. This card's flavor should be heavlily associated with your outlaw persona from Round 1, possibly mentioning them explicitly by name (if they have one) somewhere on the card.

Note: the intended flavor IS part of the Main Challenge and how well your submission represents it WILL be judged in the Main Challenge section of the rubric. Judges CAN deduct points there if they feel the required flavor isn't represented well enough on your card. You CANNOT use any design notes, etc... to explain your card's flavor, only the flavor elements of the card. There is NO exception to the "no extra content" rule this month.
This "intended flavor" part will be there in all rounds this month as a part of the Main Challenge, and it's an example of a Main Challenge that isn't binary (yes/no), so judges CAN and WILL use the whole spectrum of points in the Main Challenge section of the rubric.

Subchallenge 1 - Choose one or both —
• Your card has three or more modes. (0.5 points)
All modes of your card can commit a crime. (0.5 points)

Subchallenge 2 - Choose one or both —
All the additional costs associated to your card's modes include at least one colored mana symbol. (0.5 points)
At least one of the additional costs associated to your card's modes is four mana or more. (0.5 points)

Clarifications
Show
Hide
None so far.

If you have any more questions, feel free to post them in the MCC discussion thread.
You can also check out the MCC Guidelines and FAQ if you have the will and time. You can find it in a low size PDF version attached to this post and you can also find the link to the original higher size PDF in my signature. They are the same document, I just had to compress it more to be able to put it here as an attachment as the original file, the one linked in my signature, is too large to be attached here. Among the many things you can find there are a detailed explanation of the rubric (section 6.2) and the recommended card formatting (section 4) that you should use to format your text cards. Expect deductions in Quality otherwise.

DEADLINES

Design deadline: Saturday, June 29nd 2024 at 23:59 Eastern Time

Judging deadline: Tuesday, July 2nd 2024 at 23:59 Eastern Time

Eventual time extensions required WILL eat time from the next round to realign with the calendar, so please ask them only if you really need them. This is for both players and judges. As a reminder, here is the calendar:
June MCC calendar
Show
Hide
MCC-OTJ-calendar.png
You can also see the judge signup thread for more info about this month's MCC.

RUBRIC
MCC Rubric
Show
Hide
The MCC Rubric is given below, in an easily "copy and pasted" form. (Courtesy of Rithaniel.)

Code: Select all

[b]Design[/b]
[b](X/3) Appeal[/b] - Do the different player psychographics (Timmy/Johhny/Spike) have a use for the card?
[b](X/3) Elegance[/b] - Is the card easily understandable at a glance? Do all the flavor and mechanics combined as a whole make sense?

[b]Development[/b]
[b](X/3) Viability[/b] - How well does the card fit into the color wheel? Does it break or bend the rules of the game? Is it the appropriate rarity?
[b](X/3) Balance[/b] - Does the card have a power level appropriate for contemporary constructed/limited environments without breaking them? Does it play well in casual and multiplayer formats? Does it create or fit into a deck/archetype? Does it create an oppressive environment?

[b]Creativity[/b]
[b](X/3) Uniqueness[/b] - Has a card like this ever been printed before? Does it use new mechanics, ideas, or design space? Does it combine old ideas in a new way? Overall, does it feel "fresh"?
[b](X/3) Flavor[/b] - Does the name seem realistic for a card? Does the flavor text sound professional? Do all the flavor elements synch together to please Vorthos players?

[b]Polish[/b]
[b](X/3) Quality[/b] - Points deducted for incorrect spelling, grammar, and templating.
[b](X/2) Main Challenge (*)[/b] - Was the main challenge satisfied? Was it approached in a unique or interesting way? Does the card fit the intent of the challenge?
[b](X/2) Subchallenges[/b] - One point awarded per satisfied subchallenge condition.

[b]Total: X/25[/b]
*An entry with 0 points here is subject to disqualification.

JUDGES

bravelion83
void_nothing

PLAYERS

@AnotherAlias
@Sagharri
@slimytrout

For convenience and reference, here are the Round 1 submissions of the "surviving" players:

AnotherAlias
AnotherAlias's Round 1 submission
Show
Hide
AnotherAlias wrote:
4 weeks ago
Xharinoph, Maniacal Acolyte
Legendary Creature — Vampire Warlock (M)
Lifelink
Whenever you gain life during your turn, you lose that much life.
Whenever you lose life during your turn, add . Until end of turn, you don't lose this mana as steps and phases end.
"It's quite simple, don't you see? Or perhaps… Perhaps you cannot see. Fear not, you will, yes, you will, in due time… Yes…"
2/3
Sagharri
Sagharri's Round 1 submission
Show
Hide
Sagharri wrote:
3 weeks ago
Grimaz, Ever Hunger 1BG
Legendary Creature - Boar Rogue (R)
Devour artifact and/or creature 1 (As this enters the battlefield, you may sacrifice any number of artifacts and/or creatures. This creature enters the battlefield with that many +1/+1 counters on it.)
When Grimaz, Ever Hunger enters the battlefield, target opponent sacrifices a creature with lesser power.
"Gold or life? I'll take both."
2/2
slimytrout
slimytrout's Round 1 submission
Show
Hide
slimytrout wrote:
3 weeks ago
Cardo, Diamond Dealer 1BR
Legendary Creature — Devil Rogue (R)
When Cardo, Diamond Dealer enters, create a Treasure token.
1BR, Sacrifice an artifact: Cardo deals 1 damage to target opponent and each creature they control. Activate only as a sorcery.
"Back home, these'll scour the skin clean off your bones. Here there're chumps who'll pay for 'em!"
3/3

A reminder to everyone: In the MCC, putting rarity on cards is mandatory! If you don't put a rarity on your card, expect huge deductions in both Viability AND Quality.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | The June MCC is ongoing. Theme is OTJ. Most recent thread: Round 4 (finals). Design deadline on the 29th.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 25th 2024 - Added TLL #5).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on June 4th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (31): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024 || Judge (59): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar Jun 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (4): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022, Apr 2024 || Host (16): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024

Sagharri

Post by Sagharri » 3 days ago

Grimaz's Great Harvest
Sorcery (M)
Spree (Choose one or more additional costs.)
+B — Target player sacrifices a nontoken permanent. If that player does, they create three Treasure tokens.
+B — Target player sacrifices a nontoken permanent. If that player does, they draw three cards.
+G — Target player sacrifices a nontoken permanent. If that player does, they create three Food tokens.
+2BG — Target player returns to the battlefield tapped all permanent cards in their graveyard that were sacrificed this turn.
"Take everything and leave nothing behind!"
Last edited by Sagharri 1 day ago, edited 5 times in total.

slimytrout
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by slimytrout » 1 day ago

Deal of a Lifetime {b/r}
Sorcery (R)
+1R — Target opponent gains control of target permanent.
+3B — Return any number of target creature cards from different graveyards to the battlefield under their owners' control.
+{b/r} — Deal of a Lifetime deals damage to target opponent equal to the greatest mana value among permanents they control.

bravelion83
OTJ MCC going on now

Post by bravelion83 » 1 day ago

30 hours to the design deadline. We're still missing @AnotherAlias's submission.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | The June MCC is ongoing. Theme is OTJ. Most recent thread: Round 4 (finals). Design deadline on the 29th.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 25th 2024 - Added TLL #5).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on June 4th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (31): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024 || Judge (59): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar Jun 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (4): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022, Apr 2024 || Host (16): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024

AnotherAlias
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by AnotherAlias » 19 hours ago

Xharinoph's Gouging
Instant (U)
+ — You gain life equal to the amount of life you lost this turn. Create a Blood token.
+ — Each opponent loses life equal to the amount of life you gained this turn.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”