June MCC Round 4 (finals) - Frantic Final

bravelion83
OTJ MCC going on now
Pronoun: he / him

Post by bravelion83 » 1 week ago

MCC-OTJ.png
(This month's banner is my own elaboration on the art of the card Hell to pay by Liiga Smilshkalne)

June MCC Round 4

Frantic Final

As is tradition by now, this month we will celebrate the latest premier set, in this case Outlaws of Thunder Junction, by exploring its mechanics and themes, as usual in this kind of MCC months.

After much plotting, you have finally achieved your goal on Thunder Junction! It's time to celebrate! And which better way to celebrate than going on a spree?

Main Challenge - Design an instant or sorcery card that has the spree mechanic, that has exactly the same color identity as your outlaw persona from Round 1, and that has the intended flavor below.

INTENDED FLAVOR: your outlaw persona from Round 1 celebrating the success of their plan on Thunder Junction. This card's flavor should be heavlily associated with your outlaw persona from Round 1, possibly mentioning them explicitly by name (if they have one) somewhere on the card.

Note: the intended flavor IS part of the Main Challenge and how well your submission represents it WILL be judged in the Main Challenge section of the rubric. Judges CAN deduct points there if they feel the required flavor isn't represented well enough on your card. You CANNOT use any design notes, etc... to explain your card's flavor, only the flavor elements of the card. There is NO exception to the "no extra content" rule this month.
This "intended flavor" part will be there in all rounds this month as a part of the Main Challenge, and it's an example of a Main Challenge that isn't binary (yes/no), so judges CAN and WILL use the whole spectrum of points in the Main Challenge section of the rubric.

Subchallenge 1 - Choose one or both —
• Your card has three or more modes. (0.5 points)
All modes of your card can commit a crime. (0.5 points)

Subchallenge 2 - Choose one or both —
All the additional costs associated to your card's modes include at least one colored mana symbol. (0.5 points)
At least one of the additional costs associated to your card's modes is four mana or more. (0.5 points)

Clarifications
Show
Hide
None so far.

If you have any more questions, feel free to post them in the MCC discussion thread.
You can also check out the MCC Guidelines and FAQ if you have the will and time. You can find it in a low size PDF version attached to this post and you can also find the link to the original higher size PDF in my signature. They are the same document, I just had to compress it more to be able to put it here as an attachment as the original file, the one linked in my signature, is too large to be attached here. Among the many things you can find there are a detailed explanation of the rubric (section 6.2) and the recommended card formatting (section 4) that you should use to format your text cards. Expect deductions in Quality otherwise.

DEADLINES

Design deadline: Saturday, June 29nd 2024 at 23:59 Eastern Time

Judging deadline: Tuesday, July 2nd Wednesday, July 3rd 2024 at 23:59 Eastern Time

Eventual time extensions required WILL eat time from the next round to realign with the calendar, so please ask them only if you really need them. This is for both players and judges. As a reminder, here is the calendar:
June MCC calendar
Show
Hide
MCC-OTJ-calendar.png
You can also see the judge signup thread for more info about this month's MCC.

RUBRIC
MCC Rubric
Show
Hide
The MCC Rubric is given below, in an easily "copy and pasted" form. (Courtesy of Rithaniel.)

Code: Select all

[b]Design[/b]
[b](X/3) Appeal[/b] - Do the different player psychographics (Timmy/Johhny/Spike) have a use for the card?
[b](X/3) Elegance[/b] - Is the card easily understandable at a glance? Do all the flavor and mechanics combined as a whole make sense?

[b]Development[/b]
[b](X/3) Viability[/b] - How well does the card fit into the color wheel? Does it break or bend the rules of the game? Is it the appropriate rarity?
[b](X/3) Balance[/b] - Does the card have a power level appropriate for contemporary constructed/limited environments without breaking them? Does it play well in casual and multiplayer formats? Does it create or fit into a deck/archetype? Does it create an oppressive environment?

[b]Creativity[/b]
[b](X/3) Uniqueness[/b] - Has a card like this ever been printed before? Does it use new mechanics, ideas, or design space? Does it combine old ideas in a new way? Overall, does it feel "fresh"?
[b](X/3) Flavor[/b] - Does the name seem realistic for a card? Does the flavor text sound professional? Do all the flavor elements synch together to please Vorthos players?

[b]Polish[/b]
[b](X/3) Quality[/b] - Points deducted for incorrect spelling, grammar, and templating.
[b](X/2) Main Challenge (*)[/b] - Was the main challenge satisfied? Was it approached in a unique or interesting way? Does the card fit the intent of the challenge?
[b](X/2) Subchallenges[/b] - One point awarded per satisfied subchallenge condition.

[b]Total: X/25[/b]
*An entry with 0 points here is subject to disqualification.

JUDGES

bravelion83
void_nothing

PLAYERS

@AnotherAlias
@Sagharri
@slimytrout

For convenience and reference, here are the Round 1 submissions of the "surviving" players:

AnotherAlias
AnotherAlias's Round 1 submission
Show
Hide
AnotherAlias wrote:
1 month ago
Xharinoph, Maniacal Acolyte
Legendary Creature — Vampire Warlock (M)
Lifelink
Whenever you gain life during your turn, you lose that much life.
Whenever you lose life during your turn, add . Until end of turn, you don't lose this mana as steps and phases end.
"It's quite simple, don't you see? Or perhaps… Perhaps you cannot see. Fear not, you will, yes, you will, in due time… Yes…"
2/3
Sagharri
Sagharri's Round 1 submission
Show
Hide
Sagharri wrote:
1 month ago
Grimaz, Ever Hunger 1BG
Legendary Creature - Boar Rogue (R)
Devour artifact and/or creature 1 (As this enters the battlefield, you may sacrifice any number of artifacts and/or creatures. This creature enters the battlefield with that many +1/+1 counters on it.)
When Grimaz, Ever Hunger enters the battlefield, target opponent sacrifices a creature with lesser power.
"Gold or life? I'll take both."
2/2
slimytrout
slimytrout's Round 1 submission
Show
Hide
slimytrout wrote:
3 weeks ago
Cardo, Diamond Dealer 1BR
Legendary Creature — Devil Rogue (R)
When Cardo, Diamond Dealer enters, create a Treasure token.
1BR, Sacrifice an artifact: Cardo deals 1 damage to target opponent and each creature they control. Activate only as a sorcery.
"Back home, these'll scour the skin clean off your bones. Here there're chumps who'll pay for 'em!"
3/3

A reminder to everyone: In the MCC, putting rarity on cards is mandatory! If you don't put a rarity on your card, expect huge deductions in both Viability AND Quality.
Last edited by bravelion83 1 day ago, edited 1 time in total.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | The June MCC is ongoing. Theme is OTJ. Most recent thread: Round 4 (finals). Extended judging deadline on July 3rd.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 25th 2024 - Added TLL #5).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on June 4th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (31): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024 || Judge (59): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar Jun 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (4): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022, Apr 2024 || Host (16): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024

Sagharri

Post by Sagharri » 1 week ago

Grimaz's Great Harvest
Sorcery (M)
Spree (Choose one or more additional costs.)
+B — Target player sacrifices a nontoken permanent. If that player does, they create three Treasure tokens.
+B — Target player sacrifices a nontoken permanent. If that player does, they draw three cards.
+G — Target player sacrifices a nontoken permanent. If that player does, they create three Food tokens.
+2BG — Target player returns to the battlefield tapped all permanent cards in their graveyard that were sacrificed this turn.
"Take everything and leave nothing behind!"
Last edited by Sagharri 5 days ago, edited 5 times in total.

slimytrout
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by slimytrout » 5 days ago

Deal of a Lifetime {b/r}
Sorcery (R)
+1R — Target opponent gains control of target permanent you control.
+3B — Return any number of target creature cards from different graveyards to the battlefield under their owners' control.
+{b/r} — Deal of a Lifetime deals damage to target opponent equal to the greatest mana value among permanents they control.
Last edited by slimytrout 4 days ago, edited 1 time in total.

bravelion83
OTJ MCC going on now

Post by bravelion83 » 5 days ago

30 hours to the design deadline. We're still missing @AnotherAlias's submission.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | The June MCC is ongoing. Theme is OTJ. Most recent thread: Round 4 (finals). Extended judging deadline on July 3rd.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 25th 2024 - Added TLL #5).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
Show
Hide
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (31): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024 || Judge (59): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar Jun 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (4): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022, Apr 2024 || Host (16): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024

AnotherAlias
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by AnotherAlias » 4 days ago

Xharinoph's Gouging
Instant (R)
+ — You gain life equal to the amount of life you lost this turn. Create a Blood token.
+ — Each opponent loses life equal to the amount of life you gained this turn.

bravelion83
OTJ MCC going on now

Post by bravelion83 » 3 days ago

The round is closed. Judging may begin.

EDIT July 2nd 11 pm CET - I need at least one more day, with this being the final round and having no more to post after this, I've given priority to other things in these last days, in real life too. So I'm asking myself a time extension for judging...
- Leo, can I have a time extension?
- Of course, Leo! Here! Have 24 more hours!
- Thanks, Leo!
- No problem, Leo! You're welcome! Come find me inside your own brain whenever you like!

Of course, void can use this extension too.

Judgments complete. Waiting for @void_nothing's ones to declare a winner.
Leo's Uniqueness table
Show
Hide
Source: The Lion's Lair #11 - Monthly (Card Contest) review

3: this is a card that does something never done before, not even on a single card.
2.5: this is a card that has an effect that is rarely seen in modern Magic, but not very often.
2: this is a card that does something we've already seen but in a new way or with a new twist.
1.5: this is a card that does something we've already seen but without big innovations.
1: this is a card that does something we've already seen multiple times and doesn't innovate it in any way.
0.5: this is a card that does something we see all the time in real sets, and maybe there is only some little detail we've not seen before.
0: this is a card that does something we see all the time in real sets and in a way we also see all the time in real sets.
Microtext limits (for reference)
Show
Hide
bravelion83 wrote:
1 year ago
In the M15 frame, you can have:
• Up to eight lines with however many breaks you want.
• Nine lines with up to four breaks. If you have more than four breaks, it's microtext.
• Ten lines with up to two breaks. If you have more than two breaks, it's microtext.
• Eleven lines and a single break. If you have more than one break, it's microtext.
• If you have twelve lines of more, it's microtext regardless of breaks.
bravelion83 wrote:
1 year ago
In the MSE M15 frame you can have at most:
• Eight lines or fewer with any number of paragraph breaks.
• Nine lines with at most four breaks.
• Ten lines with at most two breaks.
• Eleven lines with a single break.
• Everything that is twelve lines or more is microtext regardless of breaks.
Sagharri
Show
Hide
Sagharri wrote:
1 week ago
Grimaz's Great Harvest
Sorcery (M)
+B — Target player sacrifices a nontoken permanent. If that player does, they create three Treasure tokens.
+B — Target player sacrifices a nontoken permanent. If that player does, they draw three cards.
+G — Target player sacrifices a nontoken permanent. If that player does, they create three Food tokens.
+2BG — Target player returns to the battlefield tapped all permanent cards in their graveyard that were sacrificed this turn.
"Take everything and leave nothing behind!"
Design
Appeal 2.5/3 - Timmy would always use the first three modes on his opponents and the last one on himself, while Johnny sees good combo potential by having all modes targeting himself. He also likes the high synergy between the first three modes and the last one. Spike doesn't mind sacrificing her own permanents and likes to make her opponents sacrifice theirs. She also appreciates the synergy between the modes.
Elegance 1.5/3 - Ten lines and five breaks is microtext by three breaks. Not even cutting the flavor text would make this card not microtext, all it would do is remove one break. Luckily all modes are easy to understand, and the repetition in the first three modes only helps here, as if you get how one works you will also immediately get the other two. Without these last two observations, this would have been a zero or 0.5 at most because of the microtext thing.
Development
Viability 2/3 - I believe the first mode should have been green instead of black, as green has no problems creating Treasure token while that's a bend in black. I could also see this at regular rare but I have no problems with this being mythic. No problems with the rules.
Balance 3/3 - You can use the first three modes either as removal with a compensation or on your own permanents for value while being able to return those with the last mode. That's good flexibility for constructed, and removal is always good in limited. I see no big problems in casual or multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 1.5/3 - Nice synergy between the modes but nothing really new here.
Flavor 2/3 - The name is as great as it says itself. The flavor text would be too if it fit. Too bad it does not.
Polish
Quality 3/3 - All good.
Main Challenge 2/2 - No problems here, both the mandatory parts and the intended flavor are good.
Subchallenges 2/2 - Four modes is three or more. All modes can target your opponent, thus committing a crime. All costs have a colored mana. The last cost is four mana. You did it all.
TOTAL 19.5/25
slimytrout
Show
Hide
slimytrout wrote:
5 days ago
Deal of a Lifetime {b/r}
Sorcery (R)
+1R — Target opponent gains control of target permanent you control.
+3B — Return any number of target creature cards from different graveyards to the battlefield under their owners' control.
+{b/r} — Deal of a Lifetime deals damage to target opponent equal to the greatest mana value among permanents they control.
Design
Appeal 2.5/3 - Timmy doesn't like to give his things to his opponents but likes all the rest of the card, he would probably just never choose the first mode. Johnny sees a lot of combo potential there instead, and the first one is probably the mode he likes the best on this card. Spike always likes flexible cards and sees potential for card advantage in the second mode in particular.
Elegance 2.5/3 - "Nine lines and three breaks is not microtext by a single break, so that's fine. The first mode might confuse some less experienced players (""Why should I give my things to my opponent?""), but all the rest of the card is very easy to understand."
Development
Viability 3/3 - No problems with color pie, rarity, or the rules.
Balance 2/3 - The first mode would be played only in combo decks that can exploit it. The second mode is reanimation at five mana, the correct cost for today's standards, but unless it's needed for some combos you will use that only on yourself the majority of the time. The last mode is the most likely to make you want to play this card, and is not bad at two total hybrid mana. All of this is true for all formats, limited or constructed, competitive or casual, regular duel or multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 2/3 - "The ""different graveyards"" in the second mode is a nice twist. All the rest we've seen before."
Flavor 3/3 - "No real room for flavor text here, so that's not a problem. The name is one of those that makes you go like: ""Wait a second, that hasn't been printed yet? Really?"" It does everything by itself even without flavor text. It would have been perfect in the real OTJ set."
Polish
Quality 3/3 - All good.
Main Challenge 2/2 - "No problems here, both the mandatory parts and the intended flavor are good. The word ""deal"" in the card name is like you mentioned your outlaw by name, as Cardo's title includes the word ""dealer"". If the word ""deal"" weren't there in this card this wouldn't probably be full points here, but that detail by itself makes the required connection, so everything's good here."
Subchallenges 2/2 - Three modes as required. All modes can target either your opponent directly or a card in their graveyard, thus committing a crime either way. All costs have a colored mana. The second cost is four mana. You did it all.
TOTAL 22/25
AnotherAlias
Show
Hide
AnotherAlias wrote:
4 days ago
Xharinoph's Gouging
Instant (R)
+ — You gain life equal to the amount of life you lost this turn. Create a Blood token.
+ — Each opponent loses life equal to the amount of life you gained this turn.
Design
Appeal 2/3 - Timmy likes life gain, Spike not so much. Johnny can definitely find infinite life combos here or something like that.
Elegance 3/3 - No microtext problems here, that's evident and confirmed by MSE. The symmetry between the modes also helps here.
Development
Viability 2/3 - Blood tokens are not white. They're already a bend in black, but where they actually belong is red. No problems with rarity or the rules.
Balance 2/3 - The order of the modes is relevant here. As you follow the instructions in the order that they're written, the life you gain from the first mode will count for the second. That's probably intentional and exactly the point of the card. I could see this getting cut in limited if you have more important effects you might want to play over this in your pool, like combat tricks and removal for example. In constructed, I could see this in combo decks but honestly probably not outside of that. I see no problems in casual or multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 1.5/3 - Nothing really new here.
Flavor 1.5/3 - MSE shows me up to four lines of flavor text would have fit here, but there is none. The name is good, but some flavor text needed to be there.
Polish
Quality 3/3 - All good.
Main Challenge 2/2 - No problems here, both the mandatory parts and the intended flavor are good.
Subchallenges 0/2 - Two modes is NOT three or more. The first mode doesn't target so it can't commit a crime. The first cost has no colored mana. All costs are less than four mana. Unfortunately, you met none of the four goals in the Subchallenges.
TOTAL 17/25
Results
Show
Hide
slimytrout: 22
Sagharri: 19.5
AnotherAlias: 17

Show
Hide

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”