[Off-Topic] Community Chat Thread

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 1 year ago

I don't normally listen to commercial pop or popular music in general, but the new Miley Cyrus single has been living rent free in my head for a month.

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Venedrex » 1 year ago

So uh, do you think aliens like card games? :P

If aliens are real, I just want to have the fate of earth decided by a 1v1 game of MTG.

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 1 year ago

Venedrex wrote:
1 year ago

If aliens are real, I just want to have the fate of earth decided by a 1v1 game of MTG.
I'd rather not toss the fate of the earth to a game of mtg. I'd rather go for either pure random chance like a coin flip or a game of Go against some of our super computers depending on the intelligence of said alien race. Magic has too much of a combination of luck and skill for it to be the highest EV for the continuation of our species. For pure entertainment, Magic is also a fairly dull game to watch too in my opinion.

I think if I could choose any game for an Alien to have to beat us at, I'd have to go with Calvinball. I think against an unknown non-human alien species that'd be the hardest one for us to lose at.

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?

Post by Venedrex » 1 year ago

materpillar wrote:
1 year ago
Venedrex wrote:
1 year ago

I'd rather not toss the fate of the earth to a game of mtg. I'd rather go for either pure random chance like a coin flip or a game of Go against some of our super computers depending on the intelligence of said alien race. Magic has too much of a combination of luck and skill for it to be the highest EV for the continuation of our species. For pure entertainment, Magic is also a fairly dull game to watch too in my opinion.

I think if I could choose any game for an Alien to have to beat us at, I'd have to go with Calvinball. I think against an unknown non-human alien species that'd be the hardest one for us to lose at.
I'd be down for that.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1
Pronoun: he / him

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

In such a scenario, Calvinball would simultaneously save our species and confirm all alien suspicions that Earth is fundamentally goofy.

I say we challenge them to something subjective, like some kind of art triathlon. We then compare the art in a double blind study, and whoever does better in both critical acclaim and public influence over a period of a century gets a masters in Art History.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 1 year ago

My plan for today: run up to couples out on dates and go "How could you!?" While looking at the guy.
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 1 year ago

So, apparently WOTC has apprently laid off those employees that remained in their LATAM branches. While by principle I'm really sadened by the continued bad treatment we get over here and have been pretty vocal about it, and also understanding a lot of criticism that the brazilian CM got was from..... really bad actors who had really sexist positions. And understand that last few pandemic years made the whole "community" thing really weird. But I gotta say, I really don't know what we had going on here. I don't think the employees were bad, I just think WOTC had no idea what they (the company) were doing. It was mostly giving gifts for the same content creators to open and every now and then one insert in a "geek" medium. Like a podcast or an actor or something. But I felt like them (the youtubers, streamers, etc and etc) were like a small club and they were the only ones getting anything and it made no effect on anyones life. I see the youtubers are really sad about that state of the game and their friend who lost their job. And yes, they should be really sad about their friend, but I can't see the value WOTC was bringing to the community here. It is sad that instead of fixing something here, we again lost it.

I'll be optimist and hope that this restructure brings on new ventures here.

Idk, I'm always salty about LATAM losing stuff, assumed a perspective would be different

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

I flagged a bunch of spam this morning titled "CRACK FREE DOWNLOAD". i just wanted to say, downloading crack can have serious side effects on your PC, including but not limited to:

Lung damage.
Respiratory problems.
Increased blood pressure.
Tachycardia or racing heart beat.
Onset of psychotic symptoms.

Beware SHAHID456. He's a pusher.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Hermes_

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago
I flagged a bunch of spam this morning titled "CRACK FREE DOWNLOAD". i just wanted to say, downloading crack can have serious side effects on your PC, including but not limited to:

Lung damage.
Respiratory problems.
Increased blood pressure.
Tachycardia or racing heart beat.
Onset of psychotic symptoms.

Beware SHAHID456. He's a pusher.
Isn't that what happened when you used limewire?

Dunadain
I like turtles

Post by Dunadain » 1 year ago

Hermes_ wrote:
1 year ago
My plan for today: run up to couples out on dates and go "How could you!?" While looking at the guy.
As funny as that sounds, I saw a video some wanabe prank youtuber or something actually doing that, and it was cringe, she actually caused some fights amongst couples, and I remember thinking, does anyone actually find this funny?

cheonice
Death to Chronos.

Post by cheonice » 1 year ago

I'm rebuilding the mana base of my beloved Selvala, Explorer Returned deck. I'm going to add Bountiful Promenade, Brushland, maybe Branchloft Pathway // Boulderloft Pathway and Scattered Groves, but I'm not sure about the fetchlands. Selvala has a thing for Emeria, the Sky Ruin, which I try to get online every once in a while.
I own most fetchies that search for Forests and Plains, atm they found there home in other decklists. I have close to zero experience with them outside of dedicated landfall decks.

So: Are fetchies any good in 2-colour decks?

Link to my thread: viewtopic.php?t=24245
Decklist for reference
Show
Hide
Decklist
Approximate Total Cost:

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 1 year ago

You have enough lands that are dual typed that I would say Fetches are pretty reasonable in your deck. Especially for forests to tutor Dryad Arbor.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

Dunadain
I like turtles

If you mean the good fetches (Windswept Heath, Flooded Strand and co.) then yes, between Temple Garden, Canopy Vista, and Arctic Treeline, you should have no trouble fetching the color you want with any of them. If you mean the slow fetches like Grasslands then no, at two colors there is no need to slow down your mana base for slightly better fixing/thinning.

Just my 2 cents though.

cheonice
Death to Chronos.

Post by cheonice » 1 year ago

Thanks a lot for your input!
Dunadain wrote:
1 year ago
If you mean the good fetches (Windswept Heath, Flooded Strand and co.) then yes, between Temple Garden, Canopy Vista, and Arctic Treeline, you should have no trouble fetching the color you want with any of them. If you mean the slow fetches like Grasslands then no, at two colors there is no need to slow down your mana base for slightly better fixing/thinning.

Just my 2 cents though.
Nope, wouldn't use slow fetchies outside of budget decks.

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 1 year ago

Sorry for the double post, but...

mfw I find out my landlord is raising my rent another 50% this year

Hermes_

TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 1 year ago

Hermes_ wrote:
1 year ago
TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago

Dunadain
I like turtles

Man, having to live in an apartment in America seems awful at the moment. Or rather, it was always tough and it seems to be getting more and more taxing on the tenants.

Good luck @TheGildedGoose.

duducrash
Still Learning

My friend had her rent raised in February then July, then the lady in the unit next to her decided to not pay anymore because of the abusive raising in price, now there is legal stuff going on and last I heard in mid December looks like she is going to win. Unsure what that mesns but good for her

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 1 year ago

Gettin real close to eating the rich around here.

Hermes_

Lifeless wrote:
1 year ago
Gettin real close to eating the rich around here.
eh, too much fat not enough meat

duducrash
Still Learning

I dont get people who get product fatigue from reprints sets… they are reprints afterall. It might be symptomatic of a larger consumerism problem in our hobby not the release itself

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 1 year ago

Honestly at this point it's a relief when they release a product that has no value to me.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 1 year ago

I don't particularly care about reprint sets but the constant pipeline of new stuff is more than a little fatiguing me. If I am being honest in the last year I have mostly stopped checking spoils and more often than not its like a set is already releasing before I look at it and more often than not someone is playing something new I have no idea what it is lol. I miss when we would hit spoiler season and it felt like it was Christmas time. I looked forward to spoilers and it was really exciting back in the day. Now I find it tedious that something is launching and as I wait for the new cards to get to me something else new is spoiled.

The last few years of magic have made me question more than once if I should sell everything. I still have fun playing but I can't tell you how much less attention I have given the game the last few years now that I have a kiddo and their release cadence has been sort of bad for me. I still like the game but I have a lot of valuable cards and in the last 4 months I probably got to play like.... 3-5 times.

There probably is a point where it makes sense to cash out if I can't play regularly enough and where I am at right now it can be a lot of work to play. I have a college that plays sometimes but they have summer / Christmas vacations and they also try to do other events like releases. Outside of that its driving an hour each way to play and that can also feel like a lot of work.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”