Pronoun: he / him

Post by toctheyounger » 1 year ago

pokken wrote:
1 year ago
toctheyounger wrote:
1 year ago
pokken wrote:
1 year ago
I think new zur is my favorite I've seen in a while. He's neat. That's the other angle really turning enchantments into bros.
Big fan myself. Haven't quite seen a way to break him yet, but I picked a copy up just in case inspiration strikes.
I just can't make yet another frigging esper deck. It seems like all I want to brew is bwx these days.
Agreed. Between Varina, Raffine, Scheming Seer, Zur, Eternal Schemer and Atraxa, Grand Unifier there's a ton I wanna do in that space.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 1 year ago

well this should make @DirkGently slightly happy or at least less grumpy

https://www.thegamer.com/magic-the-gath ... -reprints/

Almost three years after they were first sold exclusively through Secret Lair, the Walking Dead cards will receive versions stripped of Rick Grimes and company, and given in-Magic-multiverse equivalents in the upcoming set Wilds of Eldraine. Revealed at the MagicCon Minneapolis Sneak Preview panel, it was confirmed the five mechanically-unique cards will get reprints in The List, found in 25 percent of Wilds of Eldraine Set boosters.
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Venedrex » 1 year ago

Hermes_ wrote:
1 year ago
well this should make @DirkGently slightly happy or at least less grumpy

https://www.thegamer.com/magic-the-gath ... -reprints/

Almost three years after they were first sold exclusively through Secret Lair, the Walking Dead cards will receive versions stripped of Rick Grimes and company, and given in-Magic-multiverse equivalents in the upcoming set Wilds of Eldraine. Revealed at the MagicCon Minneapolis Sneak Preview panel, it was confirmed the five mechanically-unique cards will get reprints in The List, found in 25 percent of Wilds of Eldraine Set boosters.
I'm so glad we are finally getting these.
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 1 year ago

After seeing the art for Frodo, Bilbo, and Delighted Halfling, I'm convinced that centuries of inbreeding is a real threat to hobbitkind.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 5/26/24 (Modern Horizons III)

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 1 year ago

Holy crap, not sure if anyone has done a ton of testing around their March of the Machine cards yet, but Hoarding Broodlord is seriously disgusting. There's some pretty well known lines with Saw in Half, Peer into the Abyss and Burnt Offering/Sacrifice, but there's plenty of just degenerate stuff it can do outside of that. Convoke is a strong mechanic, slapping it on a creature that then tutors and gives your tutored card convoke too is just nasty.

Jesus, this is almost a necro at this point, with one set spoiled since and one more coming. Still, if you're on the fence with this one give it a whirl, card is crazy.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

illakunsaa

Post by illakunsaa » 1 year ago

What if I dont play creatures?

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 1 year ago

Some more leaks
Unofficial Spoiler Discussion
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 1 year ago

Good lord I cannot wait for this set to be in the rearview. I'm indifferent to Tolkien, not a fan of mechanics that need a double-sided rule card, and Universes Beyond earns automatic apathy. I probably could've kept my negativity to myself, but...I don't wanna.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 5/26/24 (Modern Horizons III)

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 1 year ago

Unofficial Spoiler Discussion
Both look pretty weak to me tbh. Assuming amass orcs is just amass with a different creature type, 8 mana feels like a lot for an effect like that, and the triggered ability seems similarly weak. It's a lot of power and toughness, sure - 14/14 + whatever you get from your graveyard - but the only part of the equation that's MORE than just a big chunk of stats is the reanimate, which, at 8 mana...I'm not really digging. There are plenty of commanders that can reanimate for a hell of a lot cheaper than that. And the "enemy commander dies" feels like flavor text. It's a low-powered gradual value effect on an EIGHT drop? yeesh.

Galadriel typically can't trigger the turn she comes in, and a 4 drop that always draws a card would be pretty weak...and she's significantly worse since she requires setup, and you can get outvoted to whichever is weakest. In general effects like that, which are basically pure upside for you only, seem like a bad place for voting because the table is typically going to vote against you and you'll get the weaker effect, barring an archenemy situation with another player. Most voting cards, each player's decision could be different based on their situation - Magister of Worth being a good example. Even Expropriate, someone with a bomb permanent is going to be a lot less likely to want to vote for money compared to someone without one. But unless someone actively wants to help you, all your opponents are kind of in the same boat, presumably the one you aren't in.

So yeah, she seems really bad tbh. The tribal restriction is just icing on the cake, but she'd still be quite bad even if that requirement was gone.

Unofficially, I'd say they're both power D design D, and firmly in the "bad" camp. Really not sure what wotc is going for with some of these tbh. Outside flavor I can't imagine anyone wanting to play them.

Btw there's also been a leak of Eowyn, Warrior Maiden (I really hope that's the name - one source says "virgin warrior" which would be...yikes)
Eowyn, Warrior Maiden 2URW
Legendary Creature - Human Knight
First Strike
At the beginning of combat on your turn, if another human entered the battlefield under your control this turn, create two 2/2 red human knight creature tokens with trample and haste. Then if you control 6 or more humans, draw a card.
5/4

Definitely a lot more compelling than the other two, although the bar is very low. Not triggering off herself again, but at least the trigger is a lot more worthwhile, creating some tempo and also potential CA. She's still probably like C+ level - she really commits heavily to the board, feels like wrath bait - but at least she's got some angles.
Last edited by DirkGently 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Wayta - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Eris - Magda - Ghired2 - Xander - Me - Slogurk - Gilraen - Shelob2 - Kellan1 - Leori - Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 1 year ago

They previewed Aragorn in Aragorn, the unifier

RGWU Human noble mythic

1) everyone seems to be unifying stuff this days Atraxa, Grand Unifier and Jodah, the Unifier , did some unifying lately too.

2) every pushed/relevant legend seems to be 3+ colors this days and I kinda hate it

duducrash
Still Learning

@Avacyn Believer if you are into leaks, you might enjoy the maiden for your human deck consideration

Avacyn Believer
Faith Requires Sacrifice

Post by Avacyn Believer » 1 year ago

duducrash wrote:
1 year ago
@Avacyn Believer if you are into leaks, you might enjoy the maiden for your human deck consideration
Thanks for the tip :) If it is a real card, I do love the design for a Human Tribal, because to me it has something fairly easy to build around, and card advantage on the commander is always nice. The low CMC is also pretty nice.

On a personal note, I would find it amusing to build another URW deck this year. I am already really keen on exploring what I can do with Kasla, the Broken Halo.

RedCheese

Post by RedCheese » 1 year ago

The Art direction of this set is ass

NZB2323

Post by NZB2323 » 1 year ago

duducrash wrote:
1 year ago

RGWU Human noble mythic

1) everyone seems to be unifying stuff this days Atraxa, Grand Unifier and Jodah, the Unifier , did some unifying lately too.

2) every pushed/relevant legend seems to be 3+ colors this days and I kinda hate it
Where are you guys seeing these spoilers?
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

duducrash
Still Learning

NZB2323 wrote:
1 year ago
duducrash wrote:
1 year ago

RGWU Human noble mythic

Where are you guys seeing these spoilers?

Youtube has a trailer thing for the upcoming stream on may 30th. And it has Aragorn, with his art, mana cost, typing and rariry

DirkGently

I think it's also on reddit. But without the card text or even p/t, it's pretty pointless. Not even a few words to speculate from.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Eris - Magda - Ghired2 - Xander - Me - Slogurk - Gilraen - Shelob2 - Kellan1 - Leori - Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

duducrash wrote:
1 year ago

RGWU Human noble mythic

1) Unifying is great, you should try it sometime. Seems to be all the rage here in America (except politics of course). Why, just the other day I saw someone unify their car with an embankment and you wouldn't believe how many people slowed down to watch in amazement and how many more people showed up with a veritable circus of flashing lights to sow some disunity between the driver and his dashboard.

2) Me too. I always thought monocolor should be pushed harder because of the cardpool limitations but besides Selvala and Urza, there's not a whole lot of true top tier monocolor decks in the format. Sad!
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

DirkGently

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago
2) Me too. I always thought monocolor should be pushed harder because of the cardpool limitations but besides Selvala and Urza, there's not a whole lot of true top tier monocolor decks in the format. Sad!
We just got a bunch of pretty OP praetors (some more than others). I would argue they're stronger than any multicolor legend in the set, CI-aside.

Personally I'd rather we got fewer selvala/urza-tier commanders, mono-color or otherwise. Ideally zero.

Anyway the leaks so far are multicolor and trash so that's win I guess lol.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago
We just got a bunch of pretty OP praetors (some more than others). I would argue they're stronger than any multicolor legend in the set, CI-aside.

Personally I'd rather we got fewer selvala/urza-tier commanders, mono-color or otherwise. Ideally zero.

Anyway the leaks so far are multicolor and trash so that's win I guess lol.
Eh, the praetors didn't really impress me much, but I do think they're a cool cycle and most are above average commanders in terms of value to cost. That being said, so far I've killed an Urabrask and a Norn in response to the flip, and that alone has given me pause from building any of them.

To borrow the terminology of your articles, I think 'Ugly' commanders are an inevitable consequence of continued design. It used to be that being multicolor was a downside to balance the mana cost of a spell, but in the current environment, a commander playable legend having 2+ colors is almost pure upside. Therefore I think the answer must be the inverse, ugly cards should ideally be monocolor cards with prohibitive color requirements. I wager Urza ain't so bad with a uuuu cost because ramping and splashing into it is much harder.

Ideally zero, yes, but if they're gonna happen eventually anyway, they ought to push monocolor imo.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 1 year ago

I really appreciate that wizards has been printing more dual mana symbol cards like Excise the Imperfect. That card could easily have been 2w like generous gift. Instead it's far more prohibitive of a mana commitment.

duducrash
Still Learning

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago
1) Unifying is great, you should try it sometime.
Sounds like communism for me !

I like the 3+ colors to be special. I wish they were rare and exciting whenever we saw one. Not every other legend

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

duducrash wrote:
1 year ago
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago
1) Unifying is great, you should try it sometime.
Sounds like communism for me !
I said everything except politics. Although, in my most patriotic fervor, I do believe America can unify or eat anything it sets its mind to, and God bless our ability to do so. Did we not invent 2-in-1 shampoo? I think we did. Did we not then invent a nontoxic formula for children that can be somewhat digested without inflicting major bodily harm? No surprises here, we did that too.

If that isn't proof of concept for the greatest nation on Earth, I can't begin to imagine what is.

DirkGently

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago
Eh, the praetors didn't really impress me much, but I do think they're a cool cycle and most are above average commanders in terms of value to cost. That being said, so far I've killed an Urabrask and a Norn in response to the flip, and that alone has given me pause from building any of them.

To borrow the terminology of your articles, I think 'Ugly' commanders are an inevitable consequence of continued design. It used to be that being multicolor was a downside to balance the mana cost of a spell, but in the current environment, a commander playable legend having 2+ colors is almost pure upside. Therefore I think the answer must be the inverse, ugly cards should ideally be monocolor cards with prohibitive color requirements. I wager Urza ain't so bad with a uuuu cost because ramping and splashing into it is much harder.

Ideally zero, yes, but if they're gonna happen eventually anyway, they ought to push monocolor imo.
I do think wotc has generally gotten better about having reasonable power levels since ikoria or so. Looking at the lotr previews they might be doing TOO good lol. I think this is a positive change.

The praetors are vulnerable to removal - norn especially - but typically that can be worked around. Urabrask can be played on 5 and immediately flip, norn can run protection/indestructible instants or anthems, jin has his own protection plus can run counterspells (he even gets value off the free counterspells), sheoldred can...reanimate i guess? Vorinclex can't do too much lol, but he is by far the weakest one imo so maybe people will just let you have it. And any of them can slap on some lightning greaves before committing to the activation.

Jin in particular is near-omniscience in the CZ. If you don't think that qualifies for last billing in a Segio Leone movie idk what to tell you. And anecdotally, my local group has basically forbid me from using Sheoldred after it solo'd 3 games (not even in the CZ). I read the praetors as them deliberately saying "hey, we know people favor multicolor legends, so we've deliberately made the only mono-color cycle as splashy and powerful as possible"

Urza is already a mono-color deck, so outside of running fewer utility lands and not being able to ramp off Mind Stone we're basically already there. I do agree that UUUU is a much less appealing cost on a commander than WURG, but it's a much bigger issue in other formats than 2UU and 2UU is almost as bad as UUUU within commander. For a UUUU card to be playable in limited it has to fight like a 7 drop or so.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

RedCheese

Post by RedCheese » 1 year ago

A Big Batch of Lord of the rings showing right now

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 1 year ago

Gimli, Mournful Avenger top down looks on point. But gameplay-wise seems very un-gimli. Still, should be interesting to have a Gruul sacrifice deck
Gandalf the White will be an expensive card, jeez.
I am liking what I see.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”