Unreleased and New Card Discussion

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dunadain » 2 days ago

Got to say, as someone that thought energy was a pretty poor mechanic the first time around, I've been loving the modern jeskai control lists Galvanic Discharge, Wrath of the Skies, and, to a lesser extent, Rush of Inspiration // Crackling Falls have enabled.

Still haven't seen anything cool with it in Commander, but I'm glad to see it's doing cool things elsewhere.

5colorsrainbow
Answers: 1
Pronoun: he / him

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 2 days ago

duducrash wrote:
2 days ago
• A new mechanic which is a tweak on a mechanic from 2013
A few people have guessed heroic and agree, like being able to work with equipment to work with the mice subtheme.

• A ten-card cycle that acts as typal glue
• Creature – Rabbit Mouse
I'm gonna guess these are gonna be team up cards like in MoM. Good way to have cross typal cards without needing to have changelings.
• "for each other Squirrel and/or Food you control."
Oooo fun and likely stuff i can run in my BG deck since Squirrels are BG.

• Creature – Hamster Citizen
• Creature – Skunk Assassin
• Legendary Creature – Weasel Mercenary
Three fun new folks in Bloomburrow

SPOILER
Show
Hide
• Legendary Creature – Bird Dragon
Points to the theory that a Tarkir dragon is on plane and was turned into a bird of prey like Ral was turned into an otter.
• Hop to It
Hmmm wonder if this is frog or rabbit flavored/themed.
• Polliwallop
Frog themed (if not typal) fight spell.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

onering

Post by onering » 1 day ago

I like Bloomburrow's flavor, but damn if it isn't going to give the furries too much fuel by turning characters into animals.

And pour one out for Tomik and Ral's marriage. It survived them being in different guilds, the War for the Spark, bad writing, and a Phyrexian Invasion, but I don't know if it can last Ral not shutting the %$#% up about his otter 'sona.

5colorsrainbow

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 1 day ago

onering wrote:
1 day ago
I like Bloomburrow's flavor, but damn if it isn't going to give the furries too much fuel by turning characters into animals.
Ajani and other animalfolk already give furry fuel.
And pour one out for Tomik and Ral's marriage. It survived them being in different guilds, the War for the Spark, bad writing, and a Phyrexian Invasion, but I don't know if it can last Ral not shutting the %$#% up about his otter 'sona.
Ral was already an otter tho...
Last edited by 5colorsrainbow 1 day ago, edited 1 time in total.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 1 day ago

I I can't roll my eyes hard enough at Crumb and Get It. Unless the art ties it together well, it seems lame to me. I'm hyped for Bloomburrow though, despite the fact that heavy tribal sets don't do much for me. I'm here for the vibes.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 5/26/24 (Modern Horizons III)

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 1 day ago

onering wrote:
1 day ago
Hey, Tomik can go to Bloomburrow and get a fursona too (it'll probably be a bat).
5colorsrainbow wrote:
1 day ago
Ral was already an otter tho...
If anything, it might strengthen their relationship.
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 1 day ago

I am probably a little late to talking about the assassin's creed set but I am..... a little concerned with how pushed Alexios, Deimos of Kosmos is. It seems odd to complain about a mono red aggro legend but if you just cast him and he survives the turn rotation he will have attacked for 18 damage and came back to you as an 8/8 with trample. I feel like maybe its a touch strong considering he needs like.... almost zero assistance to be terrifying.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Arebennian

Post by Arebennian » 1 day ago

ISBPathfinder wrote:
1 day ago
I am probably a little late to talking about the assassin's creed set but I am..... a little concerned with how pushed Alexios, Deimos of Kosmos is. It seems odd to complain about a mono red aggro legend but if you just cast him and he survives the turn rotation he will have attacked for 18 damage and came back to you as an 8/8 with trample. I feel like maybe its a touch strong considering he needs like.... almost zero assistance to be terrifying.
Worse than Slicer, Hired Muscle // Slicer, High-Speed Antagonist?

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 1 day ago

Arebennian wrote:
1 day ago
ISBPathfinder wrote:
1 day ago
Worse than Slicer, Hired Muscle // Slicer, High-Speed Antagonist?
Beat me to it. Definitely a strong commander, but costs more and doesn't hit as hard for the first turn cycle, plus slicer is significantly more insane with equipment, especially swords.

Both commanders are pretty insane when they aren't stopped, but they have a very obvious single point of failure in their plan. So y'know, run removal.

Also Deimos can be suicide-attacked into a fat blocker once something bigger is on the table. Slicer does have the advantage of being able to decline getting passed around if necessary (though obviously it slows him down a lot, but he can at least get played and then have a turn to suit up protective equipment before trying to get into combat).
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Wayta - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Eris - Magda - Ghired2 - Xander - Me - Slogurk - Gilraen - Shelob2 - Kellan1 - Leori - Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 23 hours ago

In my mind it is scarier than Slicer. Having trample and self pumping might not add up as fast as a god hand of slicer but you can chump the hell out of slicer and he usually does take a few equipment to really get in where as I don't think Alexios really needs anything. Its the difference between playing a fire and forget commander vs playing a voltron though I guess. Slicer can do more but when you play Alexios you get to essentially play a control deck instead of a voltron deck.

The weird thing is that technically when it comes to trample you technically can assign more than lethal damage to creatures. I am not sure how many opponents are going to realize this. I don't plan on bringing it up if I were to ever build an Alexios deck. This also assumes you are the boogy man and opponents don't want to kill each other.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

yeti1069

Post by yeti1069 » 23 hours ago

I think Alexios looks scarier than Slicer.
Slicer gets chumped fairly easily, whereas Alexios is trampling over chump blockers.
When Slicer first comes down, it usually has 2 toughness, which means it can die to a few more things. Alexios starts at 4, and grows each turn, making it more difficult to kill with damage.
In converted mode, any 4/4 or bigger can block Slicer to death, while Alexios needs a 5 power creature on the first attack, and more after that.
Slicer wants equipment that grant trample, various protective keywords, and pumps, while Alexios really only needs the protective keywords.
Slicer is 2 cards types, which opens it up to more types of removal.
Alexios can never attack its controller.
Slicer doesn't care about death touchers with less than 3 toughness, while Alexios dies to those.

Turn cycles of damage without buffs:
1 Slicer 6, 6, 6, 6 = 24 | Alexios 5, 6, 7 = 18
2 Slicer 6, 6, 6, 6 = 48 | Alexios 8, 9, 10, 11 = 56
3 Slicer 6, 6, 6, 6 = 72 | Alexios 12, 13, 14, 15 = 110

Against Slicer, players can keep tossing out creatures to block, even if those creatures are valuable, while they're stalling for an answer. Alexios laughs at most blockers in the first cycle.

Dunadain
I like turtles

Post by Dunadain » 22 hours ago

Well he does come down a full turn later, and trample is a lot more replaceable than double strike.

The self buff is strong, but Slicer hits like a truck before making a full turn rotation.

Not even close imo, but I didn't think Slicer would be all that until I actually played against him so what do I know.

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 17 hours ago

yeti1069 wrote:
23 hours ago
I think Alexios looks scarier than Slicer.
Slicer gets chumped fairly easily, whereas Alexios is trampling over chump blockers.
When Slicer first comes down, it usually has 2 toughness, which means it can die to a few more things. Alexios starts at 4, and grows each turn, making it more difficult to kill with damage.
In converted mode, any 4/4 or bigger can block Slicer to death, while Alexios needs a 5 power creature on the first attack, and more after that.
Slicer wants equipment that grant trample, various protective keywords, and pumps, while Alexios really only needs the protective keywords.
Slicer is 2 cards types, which opens it up to more types of removal.
Alexios can never attack its controller.
Slicer doesn't care about death touchers with less than 3 toughness, while Alexios dies to those.

Turn cycles of damage without buffs:
1 Slicer 6, 6, 6, 6 = 24 | Alexios 5, 6, 7 = 18
2 Slicer 6, 6, 6, 6 = 48 | Alexios 8, 9, 10, 11 = 56
3 Slicer 6, 6, 6, 6 = 72 | Alexios 12, 13, 14, 15 = 110

Against Slicer, players can keep tossing out creatures to block, even if those creatures are valuable, while they're stalling for an answer. Alexios laughs at most blockers in the first cycle.
I've played against Slicer in cEDH setting quite a bit and its the real deal.
The idea is that the 99 is designed to cast on Turn 1. And that's exactly what it does, so you mull until you can cast on Turn 1 and it really doesn't matter what happens after that.

Turn 1 - 3 + 6 + 6 + 6 = 21 .. usually the most perceived powerful Commander/deck is hit for 18 Commander damage Turn 1.
Turn 2 - 6 x 4 = 24
Turn 3 - 6 x 3 = 18
By Turn 3 you have 63 Commander damage which when divided by 21 is 3 players. So you have lethal for your 3 opponents.
From experience, when you can muster up a chump blocker(s) in those first few turns, you are losing badly. There is a reason you have those resources in your deck, they are to establish your own game plan (mana, draw, stax, whatever) and you are just skipping turns basically. Trust me, you lose anyway.

Alexios comes down a full turn later, let's say Turn 2.
Turn 2 - 5 + 6 + 7 = 18
Turn 3 - 8 + 9 + 10 + 11 = 38
56 Commander damage can be distributed by Turn 3, but that is 7 dmg short of 3 opponents. So no matter what (unless you create buffs) you are going to need to go into the 4th turn. Slicer can do it on Turn 3.
Also having that 4 mana on Turn 2 is more significant than needing 3 mana on Turn 1. It may sound like all you need is an extra land in hand as opposed to the same keep for Slicer, but these aggressive mulligans often come down to keeping one land hands. So the additional resource you need for the Turn 2 Alexios is a big deal.

The 2 toughness for the first time isn't a factor. Lightning Bolt is the only Turn 1 play I can think of in cEDH where it would be a factor.
4/4 blockers don't happen in those first 3 turns. They don't.
The biggest factor by far is the fact that Slicer is also an artifact. This of all the points is the distinguishing factor that can separate them.

I think it's safe to say that they are both scary. If you haven't played against Slicer yet, it's faaaaaar more deadly than you'd first give it credit. But when you die to it consistently on Turn 2 or Turn 3 many games in a row, you'll see it as one of the most feared Commanders to play against.
Alexios is pretty much the same, but can be a turn slower and the 4 mana will make it slightly less consistent on the mulligans. Better against metas that have more artifact removal.

CommanderMaster999

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 14 hours ago

Hugs boy here gives a massive impulse draw base on the mana dump in to him and another Exploration on a creature,

Even without that a 5/5 trampler

pokken

Post by pokken » 11 hours ago

Wow that's a slam dunk in xenagos. :D for me anyway

Mookie
Answers: 49

Post by Mookie » 9 hours ago

Card advantage + ramp + 5 power for 4 mana + trample = probably good? Seems like a nice upgrade over Mina and Denn, Wildborn, at the very least. I suppose you miss out on the ability to bounce lands for landfall triggers, but seems generally better if you just want to ramp.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 9 hours ago

Pretty chill for a mythic these days. or maybe MH3 just broke me.

A few decent elements at once but none of them are amazing. Compares badly to Exploration or any dedicated X-draw spell, but since he's both and comes with a decent body he's at least okay. Not that kind of pushed that worries me though.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Wayta - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Eris - Magda - Ghired2 - Xander - Me - Slogurk - Gilraen - Shelob2 - Kellan1 - Leori - Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 8 hours ago

Seeing reasonable mythics that are playable but not must have brokneness is fine and probably where we need to be for a bit.

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool

Post by tstorm823 » 3 hours ago

Mookie wrote:
9 hours ago
Card advantage + ramp + 5 power for 4 mana + trample = probably good? Seems like a nice upgrade over Mina and Denn, Wildborn, at the very least. I suppose you miss out on the ability to bounce lands for landfall triggers, but seems generally better if you just want to ramp.
What if instead of bouncing lands for landfall triggers, I'm bouncing lands to replay after I Obliterate? Hugs, you say? Too kind for my taste.
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”