NEXUS FLAMINGO ☆ Exclusively For Custom Card Connoisseurs and Gnomes

chetoos
Answers: 3
Pronoun: he / him

Post by chetoos » 6 days ago

I think 48 hours past when this was supposed to be judged is good to call @Megiddo, right?

Volrath the Risen
did not step down

Post by Volrath the Risen » 6 days ago

Was just about to ask what happens these days, does the bat signal still work or does someone else just step in.

If nothing happens within 2ish hours, I'm happy to disqualify myself and quickly judge the rest. Hope that wouldn't create an international incident!

Fwiw, I'd have called time a day ago. And I'm saying this from a position that I genuinely LOVE this IIW.

Volrath the Risen
did not step down

Post by Volrath the Risen » 6 days ago

Okay, judging. Thanks to Ulka for an amazing IIW, hope this helps you to focus on whatever is going on in your life...
EsperCormorant
Show
Hide
Excellent trifecta of silver-bordered shenanigans.

Clueless Manager imposes some localised silliness without making overall operation of the game too busy. Could maybe do with some (reminder) text to clarify what happens if you have no cards in hand, but this is nit-picking. Very good. Bonus points for being very draftable in block.

Red Stapler has won the round. Exactly the vibe implied by the IIW, plus a fun subgame.

Long Line at the Corner Store, very good, surprised it hasn't been in an Un-set before.
Sporegorger_Dragon
Show
Hide
First one hilariously designed, despite being unprintably vulgar. The only thing I don't like here is that I'm not sure a 15 card has any place in a silver-bordered set under any circumstances.

The next two are maybe a bit too meta to fit the brief? This doesn't feel like "slice of life" to me, it feels like "geek humour". In that context, fine.

Poor-Quality Copper Ingots is AMAZING. You taught me something here today and I am grateful, Only reason this isn't a winning entry is that it feels too busy to actually be worth printing (or playing), relative to how much fun it is.
chetoos
Show
Hide
Pointed Boss fits the brief, however dependency on Employee feels too parasitic for an Un-set. Maybe if you had shown us what else you'd have done with the creature type to justify its widespread printing in the set?

Sigilied Salaryknight, I love "Treasures you control have Exalted" as a line of text. However, the inclusion of "If this creature attacked alone, it gets +1/+1" feels either unnecessarily busy or an apologia. Better without.

Remote Work, good fun, even though it's pretty on-the-nose. Just a bit too similar to Yet Another Aether Vortex for me to be excited by it.
Me: All ideas obviously terrible, disqualified.
lookingupanddown
Show
Hide
Wish you had kept trying at the version you posted first, although I agree it involved too much choice for too little effect. As it has turned out, this will never kill anything and the closing clause will be irrelevant 9 times out of 10, so this is basically just "R: Some guy can't block". Funny to read but unnecessary to ever see print.

WINNER AND HM
Show
Hide
EsperCormorant wins overall but especially for Red Stapler.

HM goes narrowly to chetoos.
NEXT ROUND: Magus of the X

chetoos

Post by chetoos » 5 days ago

Yes, all actual magus cards so far have been human wizards, but that's just silly.

Magus of the Gaak 3(b/g)(b/g)
Creature - Zombie Wizard
Creature cards in your graveyard have convoke and delve.
During each of your turns, you may cast 1 creature spell from your graveyard. Mana cannot be spent to cast that spell.
4/4

Magus of the Sanctum 2WW
Creature - Human Cleric
: add for each enchantment you control.
3/3

Magus of the Ironworks 2RR
Creature - Goblin Shaman
Sacrifice an artifact: Add . Activate this ability only any time you could activate an instant. (This is to remove the timing rules/shenanigans from the original Krark Clan Ironworks)
4/2

Magus of Innistrad's lord 2wb
Creature - vampire wizard
When this enters, create a 1/1 white and black vampire creature token with lifelink.
Other creatures you control get +1/+0
6wb, t, exile this creature: destroy up to 3 other creatures and or Planeswalkers. Return all cards put into graveyards this way to the battlefield under your control
3/2

Magus of the Study 2UU
Creature - Human Wizard
Whenever an opponent casts a spell, you may draw a card unless that player pays 1.
2/4

IIW: Aggro Crab or Food Tokens
Last edited by chetoos 4 days ago, edited 6 times in total.

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 5 days ago

Some of those are missing power and toughness.

Magus of the Flarg
Creature - Goblin Wizard {R}
Tokens you control are 1/1 red Goblin creatures with mountainwalk in addition to their other types.
When you control a Dwarf, sacrifice Magus of the Flarg.
2/2

If I Win: Cephalids, Homarids, Nagas, and Viashino regain their proper creature types. What else?

lookingupanddown

Post by lookingupanddown » 5 days ago

Magus of the Misstep 1U
Creature - Phyrexian Wizard
(u/p), , Sacrifice Magus of the Misstep: Counter target spell with mana value 1. ((u/p) can be paid with either U or 2 life.)
"None of you are worth the biomass. Get rid of them."
—Sarnvax, Gitaxian sective

2/1

Magus of the Pinnacle 3RR
Creature - Elemental Wizard
Magus of the Pinnacle enters the battlefield tapped.
Whenever a Mountain enters the battlefield under your control, if you control at least five other Mountains, you may have Magus of the Pinnacle deal 3 damage to any target.
: Add R.
5/5

Magus of the Door 5
Artifact Creature - Golem Wizard
Magus of the Door enters the battlefield tapped.
WWUUBBRRGG, , Sacrifice Magus of the Door: Target player loses the game.
"I carry the burden of remembering those who have crossed into nonexistence."
5/5

IIW: a new Atog
Last edited by lookingupanddown 4 days ago, edited 3 times in total.

Volrath the Risen
did not step down

Post by Volrath the Risen » 5 days ago

Magus of the Goldmane 2WW
Creature - Cat Wizard
Vigilance
Whenever Magus of the Goldmane deals combat damage to a player, it gains "This creature's power and toughness are each equal to your life total" and loses this ability.
2/2

Magus of the Ablaze 2RR
Dash 3RR
Whenever Magus of the Ablaze attacks and isn't blocked, exile it and cast any number of red instant and/or sorcery cards from your graveyard without paying their mana costs,
4/2

Magus of the Wildspeaker 2GG
Creature - Beast Wizard
Whenever Magus of the Wildspeaker attacks and isn't blocked, creatures you control get +3/+3 and trample until end of turn. Exile it at the beginning of the next end step.
3/3

Magus of the Arcane 2U
Creature - Illusion Wizard
Skulk
Whenever Magus of the Arcane attacks and isn't blocked, remove all blockers from combat and all attacking creatures become unblocked. Exile it at the beginning of the next end step.
2/2

Magus of the Last Hope 2BB
Creature - Zombie Wizard
Whenever Magus of the Last Hope attacks and isn't blocked, create X 2/2 tapped and attacking black Zombie creature tokens, where X is two plus the number of Zombies you control, then exile it.
3/3

IIW: A new keyword for a Ravnica guild, that could become evergreen

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 4 days ago

Magus of the Quest 4GG
Creature — Faerie Druid (MR)
When Magus of the Quest enters the battlefield, distribute four +1/+1 counters, a vigilance counter, a deathtouch counter, and a haste counter among creatures you control.
Combat damage that would be dealt by creatures you control can't be prevented.
: Target creature you control can't be blocked by creatures with power 2 or less this turn. Whenever it deals combat damage to an opponent this turn, it deals that much damage to target planeswalker that player controls.
3/3

IIW: Ancient, pre-Azor Ravnica

EsperCormorant
Pronoun: they / them

Post by EsperCormorant » 4 days ago

chetoos wrote:
5 days ago
Yes, all actual magus cards so far have been human wizards, but that's just silly.

Magus of the Gaak 3(b/g)(b/g)
Creature - Zombie Wizard
Creature cards in your graveyard have convoke and delve.
During each of your turns, you may cast 1 creature spell from your graveyard. Mana cannot be spent to cast that spell.
4/4

Magus of the Sanctum 2WW
Creature - Human Cleric
: add for each enchantment you control.
3/3

Magus of the Ironworks 2RR
Creature - Goblin Shaman
Sacrifice an artifact: Add . Activate this ability only any time you could activate an instant. (This is to remove the timing rules/shenanigans from the original Krark Clan Ironworks)
4/2

Magus of Innistrad's lord 2wb
Creature - vampire wizard
When this enters, create a 1/1 white and black vampire creature token with lifelink.
Other creatures you control get +1/+0
6wb, t, exile this creature: destroy up to 3 other creatures and or Planeswalkers. Return all cards put into graveyards this way to the battlefield under your control
3/2

Magus of the Study 2UU
Creature - Human Wizard
Whenever an opponent casts a spell, you may draw a card unless that player pays 1.
2/4

No objections to nonhuman and/or nonwizard magi.
-Magus of the Gaak is a bit of an oblique reference: I had to google 'mtg gaak' before I realized what card this was referring to. The effect, too, feels a bit too removed from the spirit of Magus cards.
-Magus of the Sanctum, cute reference, flavorful... but at the end of the day, it's white mana ramp, and that's simply out of pie.
-I like Magus of the Ironworks, probably the best design here, being unable to self-sac and a bit more restricted on timing is a wise move probably.
-Magus of Innistrad's Lord: I appreciate the vision, but three wildly disparate abilities is a lot and turning a planeswalker ultimate into 'merely' an expensive activated ability feels a bit strange.
-Magus of the Study is bland. It's not unprintable or unbalanced or anything: it's just a value piece that you slap down and try to protect, same as rhystic. There's no twist here by making it a creature.
OneAndOnly wrote:
5 days ago
Some of those are missing power and toughness.

Magus of the Flarg
Creature - Goblin Wizard {R}
Tokens you control are 1/1 red Goblin creatures with mountainwalk in addition to their other types.
When you control a Dwarf, sacrifice Magus of the Flarg.
2/2

If I Win: Cephalids, Homarids, Nagas, and Viashino regain their proper creature types. What else?
Goblins of the Flarg, that's cute, turning all your other tokens into goblins is solid as an effect but I dislike how this screws over your bigger tokens: you could've written in a clause to keep your 5/5 dragons from becoming useless.
lookingupanddown wrote:
5 days ago
Magus of the Misstep 1U
Creature - Phyrexian Wizard
(u/p), , Sacrifice Magus of the Misstep: Counter target spell with mana value 1. ((u/p) can be paid with either U or 2 life.)
"None of you are worth the biomass. Get rid of them."
—Sarnvax, Gitaxian sective

2/1

Magus of the Door 5
Artifact Creature - Golem Wizard
Magus of the Door enters the battlefield tapped.
WWUUBBRRGG, , Sacrifice Magus of the Door: Target player loses the game.
"I carry the burden of remembering those who have crossed into nonexistence."
5/5

IIW: a new Atog
Putting Mental Misstep on a creature is a great way to bring it down to a reasonable level, and the selective nature of the counter effect makes it less chilling than hair-trigger counters out-in-the-open normally are. Great design, especially considering what you were working with. Also a fun nod to phyrexian mana moving to activation costs.

Magus of the Door, great fun, making it a golem is a cute flavor touch, making it a creature adds an interesting new dimension where it's more vulnerable but also protects you until you have the mana together. Cool effect and just enough of a functional change for me to like this a lot.
Volrath the Risen wrote:
5 days ago
Magus of the Goldmane 2WW
Creature - Cat Wizard
Vigilance
Whenever Magus of the Goldmane deals combat damage to a player, it gains "This creature's power and toughness are each equal to your life total" and loses this ability.
2/2

Magus of the Ablaze 2RR
Dash 3RR
Whenever Magus of the Ablaze attacks and isn't blocked, exile it and cast any number of red instant and/or sorcery cards from your graveyard without paying their mana costs,
4/2

Magus of the Wildspeaker 2GG
Creature - Beast Wizard
Whenever Magus of the Wildspeaker attacks and isn't blocked, creatures you control get +3/+3 and trample until end of turn. Exile it at the beginning of the next end step.
3/3

Magus of the Arcane 2U
Creature - Illusion Wizard
Skulk
Whenever Magus of the Arcane attacks and isn't blocked, remove all blockers from combat and all attacking creatures become unblocked. Exile it at the beginning of the next end step.
2/2

Magus of the Last Hope 2BB
Creature - Zombie Wizard
Whenever Magus of the Last Hope attacks and isn't blocked, create X 2/2 tapped and attacking black Zombie creature tokens, where X is two plus the number of Zombies you control, then exile it.
3/3

IIW: A new keyword for a Ravnica guild, that could become evergreen
I like the idea of making Magi of planeswalkers. I'm less sure about the trigger conditions: it feels like most of those functionally just say 'must be blocked if able' with very few circumstances where your opponent can't just spare a midsize blocker and you hit it big. I'd have liked to see those with an expensive activated ability or some flavorful condition to meet, instead of this.
-Goldmane is exactly what I'm talking about with the above: a 2/2 vigilance for 4 that becomes a 15/15 if it gets through is just not creating interesting gameplay: it's just getting blocked or kill spelled until it dies.
-Magus of the Ablaze has this clear intent where you wipe the board somehow, drop it for 5, and watch it get you a bunch of card advantage. I'm not a fan of 'you win the game out of nowhere' cards, no matter how much they require you to set up beforehand. Probably the best of the bunch.
-And Magus of the Wildspeaker is probably the worst of the bunch because it removes every smidge of doubt about the choice you should be making. At least with Goldmane there's the possibility of some other threat meriting a block: with Wildspeaker, if you don't block it, all the other blocks you make become irrelevant anyway. I'm also not sure how to imagine a 'beast wizard'.
-Magus of the Arcane avoids the above problem by having skulk. So now it's just a weird semi-consistent 'creatures you control cannot be blocked this turn' on a delay, and I'm not actually sure this is worth the hassle when 'tap everything immediately, plus upside' is also around the three-mana mark now (see Assassin's Gauntlet).
-Magus of the Last Hope, standard issue again. If you don't block this it's a problem, so you block.

I do like your IIW a lot and I hope to see it win one day!
spacemonaut wrote:
4 days ago
Magus of the Quest 4GG
Creature — Faerie Druid
When Magus of the Quest enters the battlefield, distribute four +1/+1 counters, a vigilance counter, a deathtouch counter, and a haste counter among creatures you control.
Combat damage that would be dealt by creatures you control can't be prevented.
: Target creature you control can't be blocked by creatures with power 2 or less this turn. Whenever it deals combat damage to an opponent this turn, it deals that much damage to target planeswalker that player controls.
3/3

IIW: Ancient, pre-Azor Ravnica
Ah, questing beast, that beautiful epitome of 'if it is green and a creature it can do whatever'. Moving it up to 6 mana and disassembling the effect is interesting: the base case where you slap everything on the faerie feels strong but balanced and I'm sure there's some interesting things to be done with giving a trampler deathtouch or something (though I don't think the haste counter will often go elsewhere). I like the tap ability, which I've decided to interpret as sending someone on a quest. It also synergizes nicely with the vigilance. It's a very busy card, though, with a lot of moving parts that don't feel like they're all pulling their weight.

Ultimately I have to give this one to @lookingupanddown for not one but two very good cards that faithfully reference an iconic piece of the game while putting their own spin on it. Honorable mentions to @spacemonaut and @OneAndOnly.

NEXT: A new Atog
I picked this name before I knew Esper Cormorants was a card: believe it or not!

Volrath the Risen
did not step down

Post by Volrath the Risen » 4 days ago

Tbf, my whole concept was to use "You must block or kill this creature or else a Planeswalker ultimate goes off" as a proxy for "You must damage this Planeswalker or else its ultimate goes off"!

So I'm entirely happy that the idea landed.

P.S. I don't really like Planeswalkers as a concept, so maybe that showed through in my failure to balance the above. Hindsight ftw.

EsperCormorant

Volrath the Risen wrote:
4 days ago
Tbf, my whole concept was to use "You must block or kill this creature or else a Planeswalker ultimate goes off" as a proxy for "You must damage this Planeswalker or else its ultimate goes off"!

So I'm entirely happy that the idea landed.
That's fair: I just think one of those is a fundamentally less interesting minigame than the other. Planeswalkers create a lot more meaningful choices for the attacker and defender both.
I picked this name before I knew Esper Cormorants was a card: believe it or not!

chetoos

Post by chetoos » 4 days ago

Walkatog 2RW
Creature - Atog
Trample
Remove a loyalty counter from among planeswalkers you control: Walkatog gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
Whenever Walkatog deals combat damage to a player, you may sacrifice it. If you do, put that many loyalty counters on target planeswalker you control.
3/3

Slivatog 1BR
Art: A sliver, with a big toothy grin
Creature - Sliver Atog
Sliver creatures you control have "Sacrifice another Sliver: this creature gets +2/+2 until end of turn."
"No, Urza, I'm not going to let you back into the labs until you explain, in perfect detail, your full thought process on why that THING is a good idea." Barrin, Master Wizard
1/2

Goblatog 1R
Creature - Goblin Atog
Sacrifice a goblin: Goblatog gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
When Goblatog dies, it deals damage equal to its power to any target.
At the beginning of each end step, if Goblatog's power is 5 or greater, sacrifice it.
Biomagnification in action. Each goblin it eats adds more gunpowder content to its blood.
1/1

Last edited by chetoos 3 days ago, edited 3 times in total.

Volrath the Risen
did not step down

Post by Volrath the Risen » 4 days ago

Futuratog UBR
Creature - Atog Horror
0: Untap Futuratog. It gets +6/+6 until end of turn. At the beginning of your next end step, you lose the game. Activate only once each turn.
1/2

IIW: "lose the game"

EsperCormorant

The Expertog
Legendary Creature - Atog (R)
Whenever you sacrifice a permanent, you gain an experience counter.
Lose an experience counter: The Expertog gets +1/+1 or gains your choice of first strike, menace, and trample until end of turn.
Credit to the Expertog's discovery goes to herpetologist Gor Muldrak, though in truth he was simply the first of fourty-six explorers to retain any memories of the encounter.
4/4

Pentatog
Creature - Atog Starfish (U)
Sacrifice five lands or creatures: Pentatog gets +5/+5 until end of turn.
2/2

Arcanatog
Creature - Atog (U)
Counter target spell that targets Arcanatog: Arcanatog gets +2/+2 until end of turn.
1/1

IIW: Ikoria-like monsters with weird type combinations
Last edited by EsperCormorant 3 days ago, edited 5 times in total.

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor
Answers: 127

Post by void_nothing » 4 days ago

Dang, I missed a magus challenge. (I prefer the extremely rigid exact-text, Human Wizard magi though so my entry would have definitely been uncreative.)

Combatog 1W
Creature - Atog (R)
Sacrifice a battle: Combatog gets +1/+1 until end of turn, plus an additional +1/+1 for each defense counter on that battle.
The combatog maintains a revolution is a dinner party.
1/2

IIW: Equipment matters
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 3 days ago

So sorry all. During my sister's grad party my grandma fainted and fell and had been in the hospital so I haven't really been able to respond let alone sit down at my computer. I appreciate Volrath the Risen for stepping up
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

EsperCormorant

Post by EsperCormorant » 3 days ago

Ulka wrote:
3 days ago
So sorry all. During my sister's grad party my grandma fainted and fell and had been in the hospital so I haven't really been able to respond let alone sit down at my computer. I appreciate Volrath the Risen for stepping up
That sounds like a very difficult time, I wish you and your family the best.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 3 days ago

Wishing you and yours the best as well, Ulka!

Aethertog 2R
Creature — Atog Gremlin (U)
EE, Sacrifice an artifact: Aethertog gets +X/+0 until end of turn, where X is the sacrificed artifact's mana value.
"Attempts to selectively breed less destructive tendencies into the sample population have ... not gone well."
— Consulate memo

1/3

IIW: Ancient pre-Azor Ravnica
Last edited by spacemonaut 2 days ago, edited 1 time in total.

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 3 days ago

I hope things turn out well, Ulka.

Sparkatog
2{U}{B}{R}
Creature - Atog (U)
Sacrifice a planeswalker: Until end of turn, Sparkatog gets +4/+4 and gains flying, deathtouch, and trample.
4/4
"Wait, what are you doing?!" -Jace, last words

IIW: Out-of-place animals via omenpaths.
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor
Answers: 127

Post by void_nothing » 3 days ago

Ulka wrote:
3 days ago
Really sorry to hear that. My best wishes to you and your family.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

lookingupanddown

Post by lookingupanddown » 2 days ago

chetoos wrote:
4 days ago
Walkatog 2RW
Creature - Atog
Trample
Remove a loyalty counter from among planeswalkers you control: Walkatog gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
Whenever Walkatog deals combat damage to a player, you may sacrifice it. If you do, put that many loyalty counters on target planeswalker you control.
3/3

Slivatog 1BR
Art: A sliver, with a big toothy grin
Creature - Sliver Atog
Sliver creatures you control have "Sacrifice another Sliver: this creature gets +2/+2 until end of turn."
"No, Urza, I'm not going to let you back into the labs until you explain, in perfect detail, your full thought process on why that THING is a good idea." Barrin, Master Wizard
1/2

Goblatog 1R
Creature - Goblin Atog
Sacrifice a goblin: Goblatog gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
When Goblatog dies, it deals damage equal to its power to any target.
At the beginning of each end step, if Goblatog's power is 5 or greater, sacrifice it.
Biomagnification in action. Each goblin it eats adds more gunpowder content to its blood.
1/1

Walkatog is the first of the Atogs that eat newer types (at least in comparison to the last time we got Atogs), and I appreciate both the slow-drain of loyalty counters (instead of just eating the entire walker), and the later loyalty dump you could get. The hybrid Atogs seem great too, and have their own mechanical flair that makes them feel like an Atog and a Goblin/Sliver.
Volrath the Risen wrote:
4 days ago
Futuratog UBR
Creature - Atog Horror
0: Untap Futuratog. It gets +6/+6 until end of turn. At the beginning of your next end step, you lose the game. Activate only once each turn.
1/2

IIW: "lose the game"
And this one eats... the rest of the game. I could see it, but the lines feel a bit too close for comfort that the play patterns might not work out too well. That ability is a giant rattlesnake waiting to happen, and most people don't wait for rattlesnakes.
EsperCormorant wrote:
4 days ago
The Expertog
Legendary Creature - Atog (R)
Whenever you sacrifice a permanent, you gain an experience counter.
Lose an experience counter: The Expertog gets +1/+1 or gains your choice of first strike, menace, and trample until end of turn.
Credit to the Expertog's discovery goes to herpetologist Gor Muldrak, though in truth he was simply the first of fourty-six explorers to retain any memories of the encounter.
4/4

Pentatog
Creature - Atog Starfish (U)
Sacrifice five lands or creatures: Pentatog gets +5/+5 until end of turn.
2/2

Arcanatog
Creature - Atog (U)
Counter target spell that targets Arcanatog: Arcanatog gets +2/+2 until end of turn.
1/1

IIW: Ikoria-like monsters with weird type combinations
More counter eating, but at least this one has yet to have any other card try and take them off. I do like that there's still a callback to sacrificing things. Pentatog is okay I guess, but feels a bit too straightforward. Arcanatog might be the strongest of the bunch here, and also the easiest to break. Storm gets a Plan B C D at least, and it has functional hexproof.
void_nothing wrote:
4 days ago
Dang, I missed a magus challenge. (I prefer the extremely rigid exact-text, Human Wizard magi though so my entry would have definitely been uncreative.)

Combatog 1W
Creature - Atog (R)
Sacrifice a battle: Combatog gets +1/+1 until end of turn, plus an additional +1/+1 for each defense counter on that battle.
The combatog maintains a revolution is a dinner party.
1/2

IIW: Equipment matters
This one eats Battles! This one both is willing to eat your larger Battles, but isn't broken enough that it just lets you cast all the back faces of your Sieges.
spacemonaut wrote:
3 days ago
Wishing you and yours the best as well, Ulka!

Aethertog 2R
Creature — Atog Gremlin (U)
EE, Sacrifice an artifact: Aethertog gets +X/+0 until end of turn, where X is the sacrificed artifact's mana value.
"Attempts to selectively breed less destructive tendencies into the sample population have ... not gone well."
— Consulate memo

1/3

IIW: Ancient pre-Azor Ravnica
Energy Atog, but also just regular Atog? I like that this one scales at least on the back of the extra energy payment.
Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
3 days ago
I hope things turn out well, Ulka.

Sparkatog
2{U}{B}{R}
Creature - Atog (U)
Sacrifice a planeswalker: Until end of turn, Sparkatog gets +4/+4 and gains flying, deathtouch, and trample.
4/4
"Wait, what are you doing?!" -Jace, last words

IIW: Out-of-place animals via omenpaths.
This one takes the direct approach over Walkatog and just straight-up eats planeswalkers. I like that gigantic boost it gets, regardless of where along the loyalty pile the planeswalker is.

HM: void_nothing for Combatog
Winner: @chetoos for Walkatog

Next: Aggro Crab or Food Tokens
Last edited by lookingupanddown 2 days ago, edited 1 time in total.

lookingupanddown

Post by lookingupanddown » 2 days ago

Ulka wrote:
3 days ago
Wishing the best for you and your family in this difficult time, Ulka.

chetoos

Post by chetoos » 2 days ago

lookingupanddown wrote:
2 days ago
Walkatog is the first of the Atogs that eat newer types (at least in comparison to the last time we got Atogs), and I appreciate both the slow-drain of loyalty counters (instead of just eating the entire walker), and the later loyalty dump you could get. The hybrid Atogs seem great too, and have their own mechanical flair that makes them feel like an Atog and a Goblin/Sliver.
Slivatog actually came while I was watching Spice8Rack's video on goblin grenade, as I iterated on the design of Goblatog in my head. I realized that Slivatog could literally be the fusion of slivers and Atog. I also liked putting in that flavor text. Urza had way too many unethical plans to stop phyrexia, this wouldn't even be the 5th worst.

In addition to best wishes for Ulka's family, I also want to say that, while you don't have to include any elements from the game in your entries if you don't want to, Aggro Crab is the name of the studio that made the recent crab souls game, Another crab's treasure
Last edited by chetoos 2 days ago, edited 1 time in total.

EsperCormorant

Post by EsperCormorant » 2 days ago

Scuttlerush
Creature - Crab (U)
As long as Scuttlerush's power is greater than its toughness, it can't be blocked.
: Scuttlerush gets +1/-1 until end of turn.
"Their strength lies not in armor, nor in speed, but in the freedom to choose either."
1/4

Vacant Carapace
Creature - Crab Skeleton (R)
When Vacant Carapace dies, you may put a permanent with mana value 1 from your hand onto the battlefield tapped.
: Return Vacant Carapace from your graveyard to the battlefield tapped.
2/2
In life, it housed a single crab. In death it might serve as a home to bloated rats, macabre faeries, or a very confused goblin.

Magma Crab
Creature - Elemental Crab (U)
Fathomless Descent - Whenever Magma Crab attacks, it deals damage to the player or permanent it's attacking equal to the number of permanent cards in your graveyard.
1/5
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Got a little carried away imagining a dwarf fortress set, came up with draft archetypes, figured I might as well share them.

Dwarf + Defender control
Craft / artifacts
Goblins + creature sacrifice
Descent aggro
Elves + land
Sagas
"Equipped dwarves you control"
Descent midrange / land sacrifice
Go-wide Dwarf aggro
Monstrous
IIW: Legendary instants/sorceries
Last edited by EsperCormorant 2 days ago, edited 7 times in total.

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 2 days ago

Thanks for the well wishes. Grandma is doing okay and is home already. She had super high blood pressure which caused her to faint in the humidity. the fall didnt do much damage outside of bruising.

Crustabber 1U
Creature - Crab
When Crustabber enters the battlefield, if you cast it, you may pay 2. If you do, draft a card from Crustabber spellbook.
Equip abilities you activate that target Crustabber cost 2 less to activate.
" Once I saw a crab pick up a knife and I thought THAT was terrifying." - Teferi
1/3
IIW: Draft from a spellbook

NOTE: About to be traveling so if selected please be patient or I might elect someone to judge in my absence if needed
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”