NEXUS FLAMINGO ☆ Exclusively For Custom Card Connoisseurs and Gnomes

Sporegorger_Dragon
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 4 days ago

Foaming Fiddler
4{U}
Creature - Crab (U)
Foaming Fiddler enters the battlefield with four bubble counters on it.
Foaming Fiddler has ward {X}, where X is the number of bubble counters on it.
Whenever Foaming Fiddler is dealt damage, remove that many bubble counters from it.
3/5
Clear the foam protecting its body first, to get a clear shot at its weak point for MASSIVE damage!

Praya Dubia, the Ocean's Agony
4{U}{U}{B}{B}
Legendary Creature - Jellyfish (M)
When Praya Dubia, the Ocean's Agony enters the battlefield, if it was cast, gain control of target creature as long as you control Praya Dubia. That creature gains the following abilities for as long as you control Praya Dubia.
Ward {3}, Pay 3 life.
This creature gets +1/+0 for each permanent card in your graveyard.
0/11

Elden Ring crossover:

Boiled Crab
{3}
Kindred Artifact - Crab Food (U)
{3}, {T}, Sacrifice Boiled Crab: You gain 3 life. Prevent the next 3 damage that would be dealt to you this turn.

IIW: Out-of-place animals via omenpaths.
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

Volrath the Risen
did not step down

Post by Volrath the Risen » 3 days ago

Unsure that I understand this challenge, maybe it's looking for this...

Oversized Handgun 3
Artifact - Equipment
Equipped creature gets +10/-2 and, unless it's a Crab, gains defender.
Equip 4
"There's only one way to be SURE it's really dead."

IIW: Band names as card names

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 2 days ago

well well well the turn tables have... um... turned...

@chetoos you should judge when you can =P
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

chetoos
Answers: 3

Post by chetoos » 2 days ago

I like to give them 2 full days. Tonight

chetoos

Oh Crab, I'm late for judging!
EsperCormorant wrote:
4 days ago
Scuttlerush
Creature - Crab (U)
As long as Scuttlerush's power is greater than its toughness, it can't be blocked.
: Scuttlerush gets +1/-1 until end of turn.
"Their strength lies not in armor, nor in speed, but in the freedom to choose either."
1/4

Vacant Carapace
Creature - Crab Skeleton (R)
When Vacant Carapace dies, you may put a permanent with mana value 1 from your hand onto the battlefield tapped.
: Return Vacant Carapace from your graveyard to the battlefield tapped.
2/2
In life, it housed a single crab. In death it might serve as a home to bloated rats, macabre faeries, or a very confused goblin.

Magma Crab
Creature - Elemental Crab (U)
Fathomless Descent - Whenever Magma Crab attacks, it deals damage to the player or permanent it's attacking equal to the number of permanent cards in your graveyard.
1/5
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Got a little carried away imagining a dwarf fortress set, came up with draft archetypes, figured I might as well share them.

Dwarf + Defender control
Craft / artifacts
Goblins + creature sacrifice
Descent aggro
Elves + land
Sagas
"Equipped dwarves you control"
Descent midrange / land sacrifice
Go-wide Dwarf aggro
Monstrous
IIW: Legendary instants/sorceries
Never played Dwarf Fortress, so I can't comment on that, but the first two cards are really interesting. I like getting the extra value from the carapace. I'm imagining an aristocrats deck, using this to put out Doomed Traveler or something, but the magma crab is way too strong for 3 mana. If you hard mill yourself, you could one shot someone with that.
Ulka wrote:
4 days ago
Thanks for the well wishes. Grandma is doing okay and is home already. She had super high blood pressure which caused her to faint in the humidity. the fall didnt do much damage outside of bruising.

Crustabber 1U
Creature - Crab
When Crustabber enters the battlefield, if you cast it, you may pay 2. If you do, draft a card from Crustabber spellbook.
Equip abilities you activate that target Crustabber cost 2 less to activate.
" Once I saw a crab pick up a knife and I thought THAT was terrifying." - Teferi
1/3
IIW: Draft from a spellbook

NOTE: About to be traveling so if selected please be patient or I might elect someone to judge in my absence if needed
Crab sword! I see you trying to play to the judge by including a digital only mechanic. I kind of wish that you included other equipment, not just the 11 swords.
Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
4 days ago
Foaming Fiddler
4{U}
Creature - Crab (U)
Foaming Fiddler enters the battlefield with four bubble counters on it.
Foaming Fiddler has ward {X}, where X is the number of bubble counters on it.
Whenever Foaming Fiddler is dealt damage, remove that many bubble counters from it.
3/5
Clear the foam protecting its body first, to get a clear shot at its weak point for MASSIVE damage!

Praya Dubia, the Ocean's Agony
4{U}{U}{B}{B}
Legendary Creature - Jellyfish (M)
When Praya Dubia, the Ocean's Agony enters the battlefield, if it was cast, gain control of target creature as long as you control Praya Dubia. That creature gains the following abilities for as long as you control Praya Dubia.
Ward {3}, Pay 3 life.
This creature gets +1/+0 for each permanent card in your graveyard.
0/11

Elden Ring crossover:

Boiled Crab
{3}
Kindred Artifact - Crab Food (U)
{3}, {T}, Sacrifice Boiled Crab: You gain 3 life. Prevent the next 3 damage that would be dealt to you this turn.

IIW: Out-of-place animals via omenpaths.
SCREAM FOR ME!!!! But I like the designs here, Praya Dubia especially is really cool. I do think that she should get weaker each turn that she isn't controlling something ("put a -1/-1 counter at end step if you don't control a creature you don't own.") but I also see that it might be too wordy at that point.
Volrath the Risen wrote:
3 days ago
Unsure that I understand this challenge, maybe it's looking for this...

Oversized Handgun 3
Artifact - Equipment
Equipped creature gets +10/-2 and, unless it's a Crab, gains defender.
Equip 4
"There's only one way to be SURE it's really dead."

IIW: Band names as card names
This kills the crab.

I like all the entries too much to pick an Honorable mention
Winner: @EsperCormorant for scuttlerush
Next: legendary Instants/Sorceries

chetoos

Kiora's Nautical Heist 3UU
Legendary Sorcery
Gain control of target artifact or enchantment. If that permanent is legendary, scry X, where X is that permanent's mana value.
To this day, Thassa is still wary of her merfolk followers.

IIW: Rampant Speculation for Bloomburrow or Duskmorne

Volrath the Risen
did not step down

Post by Volrath the Risen » 1 day ago

Mishra Embraces Phyrexia 2B
Legendary Sorcery
Sacrifice any number of creatures. You may put that number of loyalty counters on up to one target planeswalker. Then, create a token artifact with that number of charge counters and "T: Add B for each charge counter on this artifact".

IIW: Magic today, if Mishra had won the Brothers' War

EsperCormorant
Pronoun: they / them

Post by EsperCormorant » 1 day ago

I'll probably judge around my noon tomorrow, so in 18 hours.
I picked this name before I knew Esper Cormorants was a card: believe it or not!

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor
Answers: 127

Post by void_nothing » 18 hours ago

Garth's Masterful Casting 2GU
Legendary Instant (R)
Choose target nonland card in your graveyard. You may cast a card from your hand with the same name as that card without paying its mana cost. Then return the card in your graveyard to your hand and each opponent exiles the top X cards of their library, where X is that card's mana value.
Exile Garth's Masterful Casting.

IIW: non-planar deck Planechase cards or non-scheme deck Archenemy cards
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

EsperCormorant

Post by EsperCormorant » 11 hours ago

chetoos wrote:
2 days ago
Kiora's Nautical Heist 3UU
Legendary Sorcery
Gain control of target artifact or enchantment. If that permanent is legendary, scry X, where X is that permanent's mana value.
To this day, Thassa is still wary of her merfolk followers.

IIW: Rampant Speculation for Bloomburrow or Duskmorne
Great flavor, very iconic event to reference and a great bit of matching the mechanics to the flavor. I feel like scry is a very fitting mechanic for a Theros-set card. There's two awkward snarls: the first is the relatively high cost for a card this situational (I'd rather get control of a creature than an artifact or enchantment, which is available around five mana without the legendary restriction, though I suppose in the right set this gets better), and the second is the game's general dislike of scry values 5 and up. Just a bit of a weird realization of a strong concept.
Volrath the Risen wrote:
1 day ago
Mishra Embraces Phyrexia 2B
Legendary Sorcery
Sacrifice any number of creatures. You may put that number of loyalty counters on up to one target planeswalker. Then, create a token artifact with that number of charge counters and "T: Add B for each charge counter on this artifact".

IIW: Magic today, if Mishra had won the Brothers' War
I don't get the planeswalker thing: does it symbolize Mishra empowering Yawgmoth? The permanent black mana ramp is almost presented as a sort of afterthought when it really isn't, and the fact that the token enters untapped means you can immediately follow up with, say, a boardwipe. It's a very under-the-radar card that will sometimes give you a permanent doubling of your mana base and a planeswalker ultimate on the same turn, and I don't know if I like that.
void_nothing wrote:
18 hours ago
Garth's Masterful Casting 2GU
Legendary Instant (R)
Choose target nonland card in your graveyard. You may cast a card from your hand with the same name as that card without paying its mana cost. Then return the card in your graveyard to your hand and each opponent exiles the top X cards of their library, where X is that card's mana value.
Exile Garth's Masterful Casting.

IIW: non-planar deck Planechase cards or non-scheme deck Archenemy cards
Not holding a GU card for a WUBRG character against you: it's got precedent. A bit of a weird effect: I like the safety valve where you can only get a spell for free if one's already in your graveyard, but the restriction makes me wonder whether this'll be a dead draw too often. And why the not-quite-mill tacked on at the end? This card just doesn't come together for me, unfortunately.

Winner: @chetoos for Kiora's Nautical Heist.
Next: Rampant speculation for Bloomburrow or Duskmourne
I picked this name before I knew Esper Cormorants was a card: believe it or not!

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor
Answers: 127

Post by void_nothing » 10 hours ago

The reason I made Garth a GU card is specifically he's the scion of the mage house of those colors in his original fiction!
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

EsperCormorant

Post by EsperCormorant » 9 hours ago

void_nothing wrote:
10 hours ago
The reason I made Garth a GU card is specifically he's the scion of the mage house of those colors in his original fiction!
I see! It didn't change the score much, as I said, but I appreciate the explanation!

------

Leyline of Mystery
Enchantment
If Leyline of Mystery is in your opening hand, you may begin the game with it on the battlefield.
Whenever one or more creatures you control deal combat damage to a player, draw a card, then discard a card.
At the beginning of your end step, if you've drawn three or more cards this turn, untap all creatures you control.

Leyline of Fright
Enchantment
If Leyline of Fright is in your opening hand, you may begin the game with it on the battlefield.
Whenever a permanent enters the battlefield with one or more counters on it, you may remove a counter from it.
Whenever the last counter is removed from a permanent you control, target opponent loses 2 life and you gain 2 life.

Leyline of Desperation
Enchantment
If Leyline of Desperation is in your opening hand, you may begin the game with it on the battlefield.
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may discard a card. If you do, exile the top card of your library. You may cast it this turn.
As long as you have one or fewer cards in your hand, creatures you control have menace and haste.

Leyline of Company
Enchantment
If Leyline of Company is in your opening hand, you may begin the game with it on the battlefield.
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may have each player reveal the top card of their library. Each player who revealed a creature card this way puts it in their hand.
As long as you control four or more creatures with different names, creatures you control have Ward

And one for Bloomburrow because inspiration struck me:

Two-Tailed Timmy
Legendary Creature - Lizard Rogue (R)
Two-Tailed Timmy enters with a first strike counter on it if it was cast from your hand.
When Two-Tailed Timmy dies, return it to the battlefield under your control. If it didn't have a first strike counter on it, put a finality counter on it.
"Fool me once, I'll wriggle out. Fool me twice, same story. Three times, that's where it gets iffy."
3/1

IIW: A legendary creature based on a character who's only shown up in flavor text so far.
Last edited by EsperCormorant 7 hours ago, edited 5 times in total.

Volrath the Risen
did not step down

Post by Volrath the Risen » 8 hours ago

Am already pretty hyped about Bloomburrow, so let's try to get into a Duskmourne frame of mind...

Diary of the Lost BB
Artifact - Clue
Whenever you sacrifice this artifact or another Clue, lose 2 life and create a 3/3 black Wraith creature token with menace. This ability triggers only once each turn.
2, Sacrifice this artifact: Draw a card

IIW: More survival horror tropes in Duskmourne

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”