[mtgnexus] Random Card of the Day - Phyrexian Triniform

Sinis
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sinis » 2 days ago

folding_music wrote:
3 days ago
Withering Wisps is my #1 fave card
My current "ultra tame" deck is Jadar, Ghoulcaller of Nephalia, and it's really ... just dorky things you can throw bodies into, in a demon-kindred shell. Demon of Catastrophes, Goremand, Eaten Alive, that kind of thing where you just need a body to make it go, and the effects are acceptable. There's some strong stuff, like Skullclamp and Attrition, but there's no real way to exploit them except with Jadar's ponderous creation of the saddest zombie.

Anyway, the deck has 30 basic Snow Swamps from Ice Age in it, and I have a Withering Wisps in there because it's ostensibly a midrange-ish demon pile. It always does what I want (except kill my commander, it's a rough life for a 1/1).

umtiger

Post by umtiger » 2 days ago

Sinis wrote:
3 days ago
Pestilence is deeply underrated, answers tons of strategies, and can even be a wincon in the right deck. I'm never sad to see my copy of Pestilence (a Beta copy!!!).

Honourable mention of Pyrohemia|PLC + Torbran, Thane of Red Fell|ELD as a symmetry changer, and for Pestilence Demon|ROE existing. Also, honourable mention to using any of them with The Wanderer.
How about adding Repercussion along with that Torbran? :)

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison
Pronoun: he / him

Post by 3drinks » 2 days ago

Thursday, June 27th 2024; Rough // Tumble

Huh. I should've added this to the "baseline" Kaalia brew, if I'm honest. Awfully similar to Flame Sweep in targeting scope, with a big mana option baked in for later. Sorcery version of Scourge of Kher Ridges. Fantastic sweeper.
Steel Sabotage'ng Orbs of Mellowness since 2011.

I collect Kaalia of the Vast normal-size cards. Do you have any extra taking up space in your binder? Help me grow my collection! :)

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

3drinks

Post by 3drinks » 2 days ago

umtiger wrote:
2 days ago
Sinis wrote:
3 days ago
Pestilence is deeply underrated, answers tons of strategies, and can even be a wincon in the right deck. I'm never sad to see my copy of Pestilence (a Beta copy!!!).

Honourable mention of Pyrohemia|PLC + Torbran, Thane of Red Fell|ELD as a symmetry changer, and for Pestilence Demon|ROE existing. Also, honourable mention to using any of them with The Wanderer.
How about adding Repercussion along with that Torbran? :)
...Stop giving me reasons to reassemble Oros, the Avenger in 2024. :fuming:

I collect Kaalia of the Vast normal-size cards. Do you have any extra taking up space in your binder? Help me grow my collection! :)

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2

Post by Dunadain » 2 days ago

I've never played with or against this card, probably about equal with Pyroclasm all things considered, and that's not a high bar.

👎

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 2 days ago

I've played Rough // Tumble... It's not amazing. If your environment is rife with lots of non-flying token decks, it's an easy 2 mana wipe, but the other mode just too expensive to manage things like Alela's faeries, spirits, or whatever (though it's probably fine if you're facing Dragon typal or something like that). I would struggle to play this over pre-existing options for red that are either more efficient, more comprehensive, or have additional utility; like Blasphemous Act, Fiery Confluence, or... Pyrohemia.

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 2 days ago

Rough // Tumble is fine. But unless there is a meta reason (or a specific deck building reason), there are a lot of better choices. And while not mono-red, I do want to shout out to Firespout as a better version of Rough // Tumble.

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 2 days ago

Can't say that I've ever seen this cast or thought about putting it in a deck myself.

3drinks

Post by 3drinks » 1 day ago

Friday, June 28th 2024; Eriette of the Charmed Apple

That's interesting.

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 1 day ago

Eriette turns auras into classic C11 Vows... but, the Vows never really did it for me. They just weren't strong enough, and the Impetuses that debuted in C20 are barely playable.

Does the end step trigger redeem Eriette? Hard to say, but I think that clock is going to be very, very slow. It doesn't help that most of the Cursed role things are in blue or for your own creatures, and token auras just aren't really in w/b. Second, with the full cycle of Swords of Protection and Value out, there's some nonzero chance they're playing a protection from White or Black sword that just... could remove your auras.

You can play Eriette naively and enchant your opponents creatures with cards like Battle Mastery and maybe they'll consider attacking with the restriction, but at the end of the day, you'll be spending resources for an agonizingly slow clock that will almost certainly get answered. And when Eriette does get answered? All the benefits you've heaped on other players' creatures can come crashing down on you.

The other way to play Eriette is to pretend her first ability doesn't exist, and just play w/b auras and this is just gravy for your strategy. But, it's not much gravy. You could just play Killian, Ink Duelist for the ramp.

While I like the card in a general sense, I think there are practical limitations with the current card pool. It is simultaneously too fragile and too awful. (All this in mind, Eriette is apparently the second most popular Orzhov commander on EDHREC, so... maybe I just don't get it.)

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2

Post by Dunadain » 23 hours ago

I like her, but I've already gotten into that argument once before XD.

👍

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 9 hours ago

I've never understood the hype for this card. Maybe she would be cool with curses? I'd want another color, though, so I could use Amphibian Downpour or Smoke Spirits' Aid.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 8 hours ago

Serenade wrote:
9 hours ago
I've never understood the hype for this card. Maybe she would be cool with curses? I'd want another color, though, so I could use Amphibian Downpour or Smoke Spirits' Aid.
Or Asinine Antics.

onering
Answers: 1

Post by onering » 7 hours ago

What aura's in WB don't backfire on you when she isn't on the field, but also don't already pacifism or kill creatures? There's stuff like Banewasp Affliction and cards that grant protection from colors (choose Red Green or Blue), etc, I just don't think that's good enough.

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 5 hours ago

This feels like it would draw a ton of aggro considering it's realistically not that threatening. Other than that I would want it to have G in the color identiy before seriously considering playing it.

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 5 hours ago

AH, I knew I was forgetting one of those mass-aura cards. Good call.

Maybe you play reanimator (Animate Dead) or try to steal things (Minion's Return, Enslave)? Killian, Ink Duelist remains a better play for the latter or the obvious Voltron strategy.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

3drinks

Post by 3drinks » 4 hours ago

Whoops, I was watching day two of the Pro Tour. Here's Saturday, June 29th 2024's card; Phyrexian Triniform

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

Mookie
Answers: 49

Post by Mookie » 2 hours ago

The front half of Phyrexian Triniform is pretty meh - a 9 mana 9/9 is underwhelming by itself, and the tokens it leaves behind are okay, but not amazing. However, Phyrexian Triniform also has the encore ability - for 12 mana, you can recur it and hit each opponent, then leave behind nine tokens, which is... certainly a lot of bodies.

The two cards I would compare it to are Wurmcoil Engine and Triplicate Titan, both of which I would run over Phyrexian Triniform. Vanilla 9/9s just don't excite me - they're just too likely to be chump blocked. The tokens are fine, but a bunch of vanilla 3/3s aren't that exciting without some additional synergies. The encore ability is powerful, but also too expensive for most decks. I could see it for decks that plan to cheat it out (such as Purphoros, Bronze-Blooded and Muzzio, Visionary Architect), but I also feel like there are better things to cheat out (especially since it's very difficult to cheat on the encore cost).

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”