Best tribes for Morophon

Gashnaw
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Gashnaw » 4 years ago

Morophon, the Boundless was (To many) teh answer to niche tribes. Sure we have the more classic ones (Elves, Goblins, Slivers, Wizards and Dragons just to name a few) And Morophon was also seen as an answer to run Eldrazi (in fact that is my plan) but i was curious what other niches tribes could he be run with. Most ribes i feel have a good commander for them, do not need the 5 colors, or both. I am curious which tribes have used Morophon as the commander and not a member of the 99. (My dragon deck has him in the 99 as I feel The Ur-Dragon offers a far better pay off in the long run, (Even though Morophon would get ll my dragon to be cheaper by default, (Removing the cost of color) Ur-dragon does that even when not on the field.)

So is there other tribes people have use with Morophon? Elves are generally green and inexpensive, is it worth running morophon in elves if that is the case? i like Wizards but i think having constant access to Azami, lady of scrolls is just better. The only deck where I see Morophon being better as the commander is eldrazi.

Sinis
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sinis » 4 years ago

The easy answer is Humans. Humans are in 5 colour, and like being in 5 colour.

There are some other niche decks that kind of like it. I was thinking of building Humans/Clerics with Shadowborn Apostles as a deck in the near future, and Morophon is definitely a possibility as a general. I kind of want access to five colour for some very silly, but very niche cards (Sphinx of the Chimes, Bloodbond March, a few others).

I think the cute thing about Morophon is that, while you have access to all colours, you don't actually have to play all colours; Morophon himself doesn't demand that you play more colours than you need. You could play just a couple, or splash some colours for niche cards (i.e. in Humans, you could easily play Distant Melody and Mass Appeal without having many other blue cards in the deck).
Gashnaw wrote:
4 years ago
Elves are generally green and inexpensive, is it worth running morophon in elves if that is the case
[mention]Vessiliana[/mention] had a thread about 5-colour elves recently. I think there are some niche elves outside of mono-green that are worth the impact; some, like Shaman of the Pack would absolutely reward you for playing Morophon and then a bunch of free elves.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

Humans really are gonna be the best but, spirits might be a fun one to try, They're mostly in UW but there're some sprinkled all over. And there are some great ones like karmic guide and spell queller and bloodghast and eidolon of the great revel amongst others.

dimir infiltrator is a really cool one too, transmutes for a lot of your great cards (e.g. rattlechains).

kataki, war's wage and nether shadow and nether traitor and remorseful cleric...man this is cool :)

Even green has a contribution in carven caryatid and loam dweller/
Last edited by pokken 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Sinis

pokken wrote:
4 years ago
spirits might be a fun one to try,
Selfless Spirit HYPE!

There are some Kamigawa legends that are going to love being in this deck.

Treamayne

Post by Treamayne » 4 years ago

Gashnaw wrote:
4 years ago
Morophon, the Boundless
So are there other tribes people have used with Morophon?
I build tribal almost exclusively (42 of 48 decks are tribal), and I have used/tried Morophon, the Boundless with:

Werewolves/Wolves: This tribe got hosed in both Innistrad blocks. First, Huntmaster of the Fells wasn't legendary though he would make a decent Werewolf general. Then, we get Ulrich of the Krallenhorde, who is horrible as a tribal general. Beyond all of that, the Wolf side of that equation really wants to be RGW (not RG) and werewolves really want Rule of Law type effects. Morophon, the Boundless is a good stop-gap for a RGW Werewolf deck until WotC gets a clue.

Cats: Before Marisi, Breaker of the Coil, general choices for this tribe were: Lord Windgrace and Wasitora, Nekoru Queen (BRG - missing W); Mono W, G or B; Azorious (Jedit Ojanen) or Selesnya (Pre-con Generals). Cats also really wanted to be Naya or Abzan, since many older Cats were B/R or BG/RG. So, until Marisi came out I was running Morophon as the General so that I could have the RGW Cats deck (Equipment Voltron) that I wanted. As previously mentioned, it also allowed me to add Lord Windgrace to the deck legally, though he was the only black CMC in the deck.

Illusions: Here, your only other choices for Generals are Cromat or Mono-Blue. Cromat isn't bad, but he does drive a more balanced 5c mana base where Illusion tribal seems to function best as U splash b (for B and UB illusions) and g (for hexproof/shroud and ramp). Morophon allows a U illusion deck to splash whatever it thinks it needs.

Mutant: Traditionally, we had Sliver Overlord (good for sliver tribal, not Mutant tribal) and Experiment Kraj (good for +1/+1 counter themes, not bad for Mutant tribal) and recently added Roalesk, Apex Hybrid who only seems usable in the 99. While Simic dominates the tribe (15 U, 14 G, 10 UG) there are: 1-W, 3-B, 8-R, 1-BR, 1-UBR options and there are some decent choices hidden in there, especially when you can just splash what you need.
V/R

Treamayne

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 4 years ago

A guy in my meta's been intrigued by the concept of Morophon, so I've gotten to experience various tribe takes. By far the most successful has been elementals. You get various powerhouses like Muldrotha or Yarok for a fraction of their cost. Horde of Notions is free. Risen Reef costs one mana, and does a dumb with Omnath II and Zendikar's Roil. All while various other synergistic nonsense cheers on from the sidelines.

He's also done Gods, which have been kind of successful. Bit of a weird choice for Gods due to a lack of pips and relatively low costs all around, but it does still do something. Turns out mana discounting is useful.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

Sinis

Rumpy5897 wrote:
4 years ago
He's also done Gods, which have been kind of successful. Bit of a weird choice for Gods due to a lack of pips and relatively low costs all around, but it does still do something. Turns out mana discounting is useful.
I'll be honest, this sounds supertight. I would just be terrified of Merciless Eviction.

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 4 years ago

Elementals does seem good since there are many with intensive mana costs.
Angels? They are based in white but if you want to play all the angels this is a good option, though you weaken the discount.

How about Guildmage tribal? They will all be free, allowing you to have untapped mana for the activated abilities. Wizard gets most of them, but you miss a couple clerics and a bunch of shamans.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

Sinis

Dunharrow wrote:
4 years ago
How about Guildmage tribal? They will all be free, allowing you to have untapped mana for the activated abilities. Wizard gets most of them, but you miss a couple clerics and a bunch of shamans.
I kind of like the idea of a 'modal' Morophon, where you pick the relevant tribe when you cast him. Maybe you have a pile of shamans, or maybe you have a pile of wizards, and you choose which one is most relevant. Maybe some trinity of overlapping tribes (like human/wizard/cleric)

I doubt it would work though, I think have to mostly concentrate on one tribe for Morophon to be good.

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 4 years ago

Um there are only 13 black non-changeling cats in Magic as of ELD. (Yes, I chuckled at this.) And one of them is Rakshasa Vizier, which is also blue, a color nobody considers for cats. (Kinda funny, since we assume cats are monoblack IRL; in fact, their independence is part of their charm.) By the way, black changelings generally aren't that good in EDH, even by changeling standards. I'm more fond of Chameleon Colossus or Mirror Entity.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”