void_nothing
Undersea Emperor
Answers: 127
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 1 month ago

June CCL Signups/Round 1
"The Simplest Cost"

Seeker of Skybreak, by Alex Horley, taken from MtG Cardsrealm
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!
Theme

It's Activated Abilities Month here at the CCL - we'll be exploring the ability type that's basic to how the game works (in the case of mana abilities especially) and gives Magic so much of its strategic depth.

Challenge
Design a creature card with an activated ability that costs ONLY T.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • The card may have other activated abilities as long as it has one that meets the challenge.
  • Make sure to include a rarity.
Anyone can enter this first round! Your submissions are due Saturday, June 8th, 23:59 EST.
Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (June 2nd-8th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (June 9th-14th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due June 17th)
  • Top 8 — Open to top 8 finishers (June 18th-21st)
  • Top 8 Critiques (Due June 24th)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (June 25th-28th)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due July 1st)
  • Final (July, winner determined by public poll)
For this month we will continue asking first and second round contestants to evaluate six other contestants during the critique and top 3 period, in order to increase the total number of evaluations each contestant gets.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 1 month ago

Yickle the Neurotic -- U
Legendary Creature - Human {M}
Yickle can only be activated once each turn.
T:
Q:
0/5
Last edited by OneAndOnly 3 weeks ago, edited 2 times in total.

netn10
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by netn10 » 1 month ago

Ruk, Deep-Sea Pet 1GU
Legendary Creature - Octopus (Rare)
Partner with any legendary Kiora, Kraken, Leviathan, Octopus, or Serpent card even if they don't have partner
Vigilance
T: You get an emblem with "Kiora, Kraken, Leviathan, Octopus, and Serpent spells you cast cost 1 less to cast."
"A good helping hand is hard to come by these days. Good thing she has eight, then."
3/3

EsperCormorant
Pronoun: they / them

Post by EsperCormorant » 1 month ago

Slapdasher Mage
Creature - Faerie Wizard (R)
Flying
: The next permanent spell you cast this turn can be cast as though it had evoke. The evoke cost is its mana cost reduced by .
"Who cares if it lasts? I just want to show it off."
2/1
I picked this name before I knew Esper Cormorants was a card: believe it or not!

AnotherAlias

Post by AnotherAlias » 4 weeks ago

Recharging Angel
Artifact Creature — Angel Construct (C)
Flying
: At the beginning of your next upkeep, Recharging Angel gains first strike and lifelink until end of turn.
Angels, though regarded as perfect by many, are not. However, with the turn of the New Dawn, such beings can be replaced with perfected mechanical counterparts, cutting out all of their natural flaws.
3/1

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 4 weeks ago

Entangling Orbweaver 3G
Creature - Spider (Common)
Haste
T: Detain target creature with flying. (Until your next turn, that creature can't attack or block and its activated abilities can't be activated.)
The giant orbweavers of Oran-Rief catch their prey with both speed and ambushes.
2/3
Last edited by kwanyeegor-ii 3 weeks ago, edited 1 time in total.
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

Komandon

Post by Komandon » 4 weeks ago

Gate Guardian 1W
Creature — Human Solider (uncommon)
T: Target creature becomes blocked. If you control no other creatures you may pay 2. If you do, untap Gate Guardian.
"I can do this all day" — Steve Rogers
1/1

Sagharri

Post by Sagharri » 3 weeks ago

Acolyte of Dawn and Dusk G
Creature - Elf Cleric (R)
T: Add W if you gained life this turn. Add B if you lost life this turn.
"Something ends so that something can begin."
0/2

KB52665

Post by KB52665 » 3 weeks ago

Norin, Ever-Cautious r
Legendary Creature — Human Warrior
Vigilance
Whenever a player casts a spell, add r.
: Return Norin to its owner's hand.
2/1
Last edited by KB52665 3 weeks ago, edited 1 time in total.

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 3 weeks ago

Raging Boltslinger RR
Creature - Goblin Wizard (U)
T: Raging Boltslinger deals 1 damage to any target.
Desperation- T, Sacrifice Raging Boltslinger: Raging Boltslinger deals 3 damage to any target. Activate only if you have half or less of your starting life total.
0/1

MonoRedMage

Post by MonoRedMage » 3 weeks ago

Kamahl, Grand Champion 5RRR
Legendary Creature - Human Barbarian {M}
Ward - Sacrifice three lands.
T: Kamahl, Grand Champion deals 6 damage to any target.
Whenever another Barbarian, Berserker, or Warrior enters the battlefield under your control, untap Kamahl, Grand Champion.
6/6

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 3 weeks ago

Polarizing Bear
Creature - Bear (Uncommon)
: Draw a card. Activate only if you discarded a card this turn.
: Target opponent discards a card. Activate only if you drew two or more cards this turn.
Nothing the Polarizing Bear does is without questions from both sides. It answers all of them with wintry results.
2/2
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor
Answers: 127

Post by void_nothing » 3 weeks ago

The round is closed! Please critique the six contestants below you on this list, looping to the top as necessary.

OneAndOnly
netn10
EsperCormorant
AnotherAlias
kwanyeegor-ii
Komandon
Sagharri
KB52665
Ink-Treader
MonoRedMage
marioguy3

Also don't forget to enter Round 2!
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 3 weeks ago

Critiques
Show
Hide
MonoRedMage
Show
Hide
That's pretty expensive, but with an activated ability like that, that's entirely justified. Somewhat tricky in red to get all the resources together to break this, though. Even in Commander.
marioguy3
Show
Hide
The flavor is weird, but the card itself seems quite good. Even the first ability is probably sufficiently playable without the second.
OneAndOnly
Show
Hide
A Johnny card I suppose. The restriction doesn't make it terribly interesting.
netn10
Show
Hide
A little dangerous to have a broad spectrum partner, but the niche seems safe enough. I will note that there isn't a single Kiora that this can partner with, because none of them can be played as a Commander. And Kiora, Sovereign of the Deep is a creature, and therefor isn't a Kiora. Well, there's Brawl, I guess?
EsperCormorant
Show
Hide
That's a pretty cool activated ability, and I think reasonable. If this were MCC, I might point out this would fit better in red, being useable on all permanent spell types.
AnotherAlias
Show
Hide
That's a bit funky, in a good way I'd say, and the flavor is neat too.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. EsperCormorant
2. AnotherAlias
3. marioguy3

EsperCormorant

Post by EsperCormorant » 3 weeks ago

Critiques
Show
Hide
AnotherAlias - Recharging Angel
Ridiculous card. 3 flying power just isn't done as a common 2-drop; the closest thing actually printed is Daring Skyjek, which is highly conditional, and Skittering Skirge, which has a color-intensive cost and hefty drawback. The wind-up mechanic has potential, but right now it's just dragging an overpowered card further off-balance.

kwanyeegor-ii - Entangling Orbweaver
I like it when guild mechanics show up in other colors, but I'm not sure how I feel about green detain. Making it target flying creatures alone is what saves you here, because green already gets to go out-of-pie to screw those over (Plummet etc). I must also say that the flavor here is excellent.

Komandon - Gate Guardian
In the base case, this is a shroudless, deathtouch-immune, cheaper Wall of Denial that can block unblockable/menacing stuff and that you can't break through with raw power. That's already really dang good! Adding the ability to block multiple foes at a pretty reasonable rate feels excessive; the 'only creature' restriction feels pretty meaningless when a control deck is perfectly fine fielding this and nothing else. The design also feels like it's trying to sneak around the 'no cost but tap' that is the contest's whole premise.

Sagharri - Acolyte of Dawn and Dusk
Cute design, I like off-color mana dorks, and this can in theory get you two mana with some effort... but should it be a rare? Is this really at the level of Noble Hierarch or Birds of Paradise? The theoretical optimum feels hard to acquire without jumping through significant hoops: most of the time, I expect this to be an inert 0/2. There's a solid idea here, but right now it feels too swingy to actually put in a deck. Tack on the ability to reliably get and I'd like this a lot more.

KB52665 - Norin, Ever-Cautious
Vigilance in mono-red? I get the flavor, but it's still a pie break. That mana ability is pretty dang powerful in a storm deck, even with legendary as a safety valve. Worse, it all just ends up taking away from the relatively modest tap ability.

Ink-Treader - Raging Boltslinger
Pretty solid pinger, I like the desperation mechanic and the flavor feels serviceable if basic. It's good at what it does, and I think the dual-red cost was a wise decision. All in all, a competently executed take on the theme - and sometimes that's all you need.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. Ink-Treader's Raging Boltslinger
2. kwanyeegor-ii's Entangling Orbweaver
3. Sagharri's Acolyte of Dawn and Dusk
I picked this name before I knew Esper Cormorants was a card: believe it or not!

Sagharri

Post by Sagharri » 3 weeks ago

critiques
Show
Hide
KB52665
Norin, Ever-Cautious - Vigilance? It could be done a bit less off color pie. For 1 mana cmc, that static ability is pretty (too) powerful (-> storm).

Ink-Treader
Raging Boltslinger - Goblin, red, wizard, damage, suicidal - everything is fine. And desperation. Nice!

MonoRedMage
Kamahl, Grand Champion - A little bit too much in my opinion - really strong ward, powerful tap ability, rather pretty easy untap condition and big body.

marioguy3
Polarizing Bear - Definitely there are questions about what it does, but I'm fine with it. Really like this combination of abilities.

OneAndOnly
Yickle the Neurotic - Not sure about that first ability wording. And that empty abilities looks to me as it is just unfinished :(

netn10
Ruk, Deep-Sea Pet - Partner - nice and fine. The only thing that worries me a little is this tap ability with 'repeatable cost-reducting-emblem' that affects also this card. At least there is time to answer that.
top 3
Show
Hide
1. Ink-Treader
2. marioguy3
3. netn10

Komandon

Post by Komandon » 3 weeks ago

Critiques
Show
Hide

Sagharri wrote:
3 weeks ago
0/2
The Abzan elf in this context makes sense. Even if you didn't gain or lose life the 0/2 for g is fair. Not for a rare but the mana dork ability makes up for that. Personally I would have made it uncommon and a shaman.
KB52665 wrote:
3 weeks ago
Norin, Ever-Cautious r
Vigilance
2/1
Red vigilance I don't think fits. Over powered. Can pull off a storm too easily but WotC is doing too overpowered cards recently. I miss mana burn.
Ink-Treader wrote:
3 weeks ago
Raging Boltslinger RR
Desperation- T, Sacrifice Raging Boltslinger: Raging Boltslinger deals 3 damage to any target. Activate only if you have half or less of your starting life total.
0/1
I like the Desperation mechanic.
MonoRedMage wrote:
3 weeks ago
Whenever another Barbarian, Berserker, or Warrior enters the battlefield under your control, untap Kamahl, Grand Champion.
6/6
Seem too overpowered even without the ward. The ward on mono red I think is only on Dwarven Forge-Chanter.
marioguy3 wrote:
3 weeks ago
Polarizing Bear
: Target opponent discards a card. Activate only if you drew two or more cards this turn.
Nothing the Polarizing Bear does is without questions from both sides. It answers all of them with wintry results.
2/2
A non-green Bear that's not a zombie. Mechanics seem fair. Was going to say it seems like a rare except the mana cost being 2 cmc but no generic so seems right.
OneAndOnly wrote:
1 month ago
Yickle the Neurotic -- U
Legendary Creature - Human {M}
Yickle can only be activated once each turn.
T:
Q:
0/5
Seems too limited to what combos could use it. That being said with the once a turn limit is see this as at most am uncommon. It's the same as Aegis Turtle with a combo piece and is legendary. I know Isamaru, Hound of Konda is still rare which I don't agree with but the better Rograkh, Son of Rohgahh is uncommon. Though being a human I understand WotC would print it as a rare.

[/quote]
Top 3
Show
Hide

1st: Ink-Treader
2nd: Sagharri
3rd: marioguy3

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 3 weeks ago

Ratings
Show
Hide
netn10 wrote:
1 month ago
Ruk, Deep-Sea Pet 1GU
Legendary Creature - Octopus (Rare)
Partner with any legendary Kiora, Kraken, Leviathan, Octopus, or Serpent card even if they don't have partner
Vigilance
T: You get an emblem with "Kiora, Kraken, Leviathan, Octopus, and Serpent spells you cast cost 1 less to cast."
"A good helping hand is hard to come by these days. Good thing she has eight, then."
3/3
"Partner without partner" is a little confusing, and it's probably best spelled out as a deck-construction rule. That being said, it immediately makes the card feel silver-bordered to me. Perpetually reducing costs can get out of hand rather quickly, especially with green and blue untap effects to speed it along. But other than a few niche decks, there's no potential for other use, so it gets a very low grade from me.

EsperCormorant wrote:
1 month ago
Slapdasher Mage
Flying
: The next permanent spell you cast this turn can be cast as though it had evoke. The evoke cost is its mana cost reduced by .
2/1
Flashy, but perhaps a little too effective. It's got more combo potential than the above card, so it could likely go in a wider variety of decks, but it still feels very limited to B graveyard recursion decks.

The name's very charming and on point, though! Nice jot of flavor.

AnotherAlias wrote:
4 weeks ago
Recharging Angel
Flying
: At the beginning of your next upkeep, Recharging Angel gains first strike and lifelink until end of turn.
Angels, though regarded as perfect by many, are not. However, with the turn of the New Dawn, such beings can be replaced with perfected mechanical counterparts, cutting out all of their natural flaws.
3/1
Feels very Antiquities-era, although it might be more of a direct descendent of Legends' Gabriel Angelfire It's a little weak to take itself out of consideration for a turn, which really open itself up to removal. First strike is a strong benefit (given its low toughness), but lifelink is kinda meh I'd strongly suggest giving it baseline vigilance, and then letting it choose which of several other benefits to gain for the turn; then it becomes a very flexible attacker.

"Recharging" Angel makes me think it's going to either deal with E, or refill +1/+1 counters (like Clockwork Avian), so the flavor's a little off.

kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
4 weeks ago
Entangling Orbweaver 3G
Haste
T: Detain target creature with flying. (Until your next turn, that creature can't attack or block and its activated abilities can't be activated.)
The giant orbweavers of Oran-Rief catch their prey with both speed and ambushes.
2/3
Very nice, and deserves the common rating. Green got a lot of detail-style effects in early sets, so this is a nice throwback to that. It feels like it should still have reach, though.

I first read "orbweavers" and "or beavers," which is uhhh quite the type.

Komandon wrote:
4 weeks ago
Gate Guardian 1W
T: Target creature becomes blocked. If you control no other creatures you may pay 2. If you do, untap Gate Guardian.
1/1
Weird to see Marvel in what I would assume is not intended to be a Universe Beyond card. And a little weak for Cap'n 'Murica. The effect feels very Legends / Ice Age to me. It's a weird variant on multiblocking, and it leads me to think this would play better as your only creature on the field, since you can effectively Holy Day .... all day.

Sagharri wrote:
3 weeks ago
0/2
Nice, and simple enough to be a common or uncommon -- making it a rare seems really underwhelming.

KB52665 wrote:
3 weeks ago
Norin, Ever-Cautious r
Vigilance
2/1
Not quite like the original, but combolicious in its own fashion. The ability to choose when to duck out makes it feel much more W or U rather than R.

Ink-Treader wrote:
3 weeks ago
Raging Boltslinger RR
0/1
Desperation is an interesting tweak on Fateful Hour; I often feel that that mechanic wasn't pushed enough, given that 5 life should be pretty close to closing out the game. Only half your life total means it'll matter more often, and also becomes effective at different points in different formats (2HG, EDH, etc.)

I always find pingers a little hard to balance; there are enough Goblin buffs out there that the Boltslinger could be more effective attacking than pinging.

MonoRedMage wrote:
3 weeks ago
6/6
Combolicious, but I worry that "dump three creatures = GG" is fun to play against. The Ward cost also quickly locks a player out of the game in an un-fun way.
marioguy3 wrote:
3 weeks ago
Polarizing Bear
2/2
Bears feel wrong in non-G colors. It's a cute play on "Polar Bear" but another pun would be just as effective. The limitation on the abilities is rather quickly overcome with a single Merfolk Looter, but I must say that I find Magic a lot more interesting when players get to play their cards, not just draw and discard them.
Rankings
Show
Hide
1. Sagharri's Acolyte of Dawn and Dusk
2: kwanyeegor-ii's Entangling Orb Beaver
3: AnotherAlias's Recharging Angel
4: Komandon's Gate Guardian
5: EsperCormorant's Slapdasher Mage
6: netn10's Ruk, Deep-Sea Pet
HM: KB52665's Norin, Ever-Cautious
HM: Ink-Treader's Raging Boltslinger
HM: MonoRedMage's Kamahl, Grand Champion
HM: marioguy3's Polarizing Bear

AnotherAlias

Post by AnotherAlias » 3 weeks ago

kwanyeegor-ii — Isn't detain a white/blue mechanic? Whatever. This is a good use of detain even if it isn't really in color. Perhaps this should also have reach? It is a spider afterall, and it is already hating on flying creatures; why not let it hate some more?
Komandon — I mean, this seems strong, I think? As for the flavor text, aside from the fact that it randomly makes this a Universes Beyond card, you have written how quotations are done in Magic wrong.
Sagharri — I like cards that mess around with life totals. Though, I feel like this is a bit weak in its current state.
KB52665 — Turn two hand-dump incoming (also, probably stronger: storm). Also, vigilance in red? Plus, it protects itself.
Ink-Treader — Pretty OK pinger. Flavor makes enough sense.
MonoRedMage — Very expensive. Not counting double-faced cards or alchemy cards, this is the second red card with ward.

Top 3:
3rd: Sagharri
2nd: Ink-Treader
1st: kwanyeegor-ii

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 3 weeks ago

OneandOnly: If only this creature had written text, this could have been an all time card. Join the Hall of Fame maybe.

netn10: Any sort of repeatable emblem is strong. I think this one's "fair" type of strong, and synergy with any of those spells with x in their cost increases the value.

EsperCormorant: Lots of funny potential synergies with this one. I like evoke as a mechanic (well, those that require mana to evoke).

AnotherAlias: This is a unique ability, though it has the potential for very slight memory issues. I'd find some way to put a counter of those abilities on this creature.

kwanyeegor-ii: Perfect fit for a spider to do to any flying creature.

Komandon: This is missing the "attacking" wording that makes an ability like this work. Without it, it leads to confusion. I really like the flavor text though.

Top 3:

3rd place: EsperCormorant
2nd place: kwanyeegor-ii
1st place: netn10
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

netn10

Post by netn10 » 3 weeks ago

EsperCormorant
Show
Hide
EsperCormorant wrote:
1 month ago
Slapdasher Mage
Flying
2/1
Strong Lorwyn flavor. I really like the cross-typal theme in OG Lorwyn and I really like it here. The ability is very unique and I think it's not that broken - it's basiclly add 2 mana with a huge drawback. The only thing is that I don't know if I like 2/1 flying for 2 mana in mono black, it sounds too strong on paper, but it might be a nice fallback for the activated ability. The flavor text is cute.
AnotherAlias
Show
Hide
AnotherAlias wrote:
4 weeks ago
Recharging Angel
Flying
3/1
This is very much an Angel Construct. The flavor text is very intriging, really makes me want to know about that New Dawn event. The activated ability is very unique, I don't think we have something like this yet. The closet thing is exert but this is a cool riff on it that I can see on white and blue as a "plan for the future" mechanic. I don't like 3/1 flying for 2 mana, especially not at common.
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
4 weeks ago
Entangling Orbweaver 3G
Haste
2/3
This seems fine. The price is right, a mono green common with haste is always a treat, and detain is very fun here. All in all, solid. I appreciate commons that combine bold stuff in neat ways. Detain in mono green + haste certainly does that.
Komandon
Show
Hide
Komandon wrote:
4 weeks ago
Gate Guardian 1W
1/1
I wish this was just Captain America legendery creature with more "oomph". This as an uncommon is annoying, it can really mess up the whole combat, especially since this has no mana for the activated ability. The untap clause is unique, I like it.
Sagharri
Show
Hide
Sagharri wrote:
3 weeks ago
0/2
Fun name and flavor and the mana abilities are really cool. This feels like an uncommon and not a rare. Nothing too crazy here.
KB52665
Show
Hide
KB52665 wrote:
3 weeks ago
Norin, Ever-Cautious r
Vigilance
2/1
Mono red with vigilance is a no-no. Not a big one, but still. The triggered ability is broken and the third ability is not really mono red. I do like the flavor and the boldness though.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1st: EsperCormorant
2nd: AnotherAlias
3rd: kwanyeegor-ii

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”