void_nothing
Undersea Emperor
Answers: 127
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 1 week ago

June CCL Top 8/Round 3
"Skills That Break the Mold"

Nicol Bolas, God-Pharaoh, by Raymond Swanland, taken from Art of MtG
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!
Theme

It's Activated Abilities Month here at the CCL - we'll be exploring the ability type that's basic to how the game works (in the case of mana abilities especially) and gives Magic so much of its strategic depth.

Challenge
Design a planeswalker card that does NOT have three loyalty abilities.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • Any number of loyalty abilities, including zero, is fine as long as it is not three.
  • Loyalty abilities are only ones with a loyalty symbol cost (, , or ). You may include any other non-loyalty abilities.
  • Make sure to include a rarity.
Contestants:
@Sagharri
@EsperCormorant
@Ink-Treader
@OneAndOnly
@marioguy3
@wizyard
@netn10
@kwanyeegor-ii
Your submissions are due Friday, June 21st, 23:59 EST.
Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (June 2nd-8th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (June 9th-14th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due June 17th)
  • Top 8 — Open to top 8 finishers (June 18th-21st)
  • Top 8 Critiques (Due June 24th)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (June 25th-28th)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due July 1st)
  • Final (July, winner determined by public poll)
For this month we will continue asking first and second round contestants to evaluate six other contestants during the critique and top 3 period, in order to increase the total number of evaluations each contestant gets.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

EsperCormorant
Pronoun: they / them

Post by EsperCormorant » 1 week ago

Ríonnach, Thoughtweaver
Legendary Planeswalker — Ríonnach (R)
At the beginning of your upkeep, the number of loyalty counters on Ríonnach, Thoughtweaver becomes the number of Kithkin you control plus 1. (Put loyalty counters on it or remove loyalty counters from it equal to the difference)
-1: Create two 1/1 blue and white Kithkin Soldier creature tokens.
-9: You gain an emblem with "Whenever you cast a white or blue spell, you may tap any number of untapped creatures you control. For every creature tapped this way, you draw a card if the spell was blue and you gain 3 life if the spell was white."
Last edited by EsperCormorant 1 week ago, edited 1 time in total.
I picked this name before I knew Esper Cormorants was a card: believe it or not!

netn10
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by netn10 » 1 week ago

Grist, the Endless Swarm
Legendary Planswalker - Grist (Mythic)
At the beginning of your upkeep, create a token that's a copy of Girst.
Whenever Grist dies, the player that killed them loses 2 life and draws a card.
-1: Create a 1/1 green Insect creature token.

Sagharri

Post by Sagharri » 1 week ago

Niko, Reality Shaper W{w/u}U
Legendary Planeswalker — Niko (R)
Whenever an opponent attacks you or a planeswalker you control, Niko, Reality Shaper deals X damage to target attacking creature, where X is 1 plus number of Shards you control.
+1: Create a Shard token, then exile target creature or planeswalker you control until that Shard leaves the battlefield.
-2: Create a Shard token, then exile target creature or planeswalker you don't control until that Shard leaves the battlefield.

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 1 week ago

Criteria
Show
Hide
Harkash of the Crag -- 2RR
Legendary Planeswalker - Harkash {M}
Whenever a source you control deals 5 or more damage, put a loyalty counter on Harkash of the Crag.
-3 The next time this turn a source of your choice would deal damage, it deals 5 damage instead.
Last edited by OneAndOnly 1 week ago, edited 2 times in total.

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 1 week ago

Dalti, Precept Forger 2CW
Legendary Planeswalker - Dalti (M)
When Dalti enters the battlefield and at the beginning of your upkeep, choose a card name. (Previously chosen names remain chosen.)
+2: Until your next turn, you and Dalti have protection from the named cards, and spells you cast that share a name with those cards cost 1W less to cast.
-10: You get an emblem with "Your opponents can only cast spells during their turn." and "Your opponents can't cast more than one spell each turn."
Last edited by Ink-Treader 1 week ago, edited 1 time in total.

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 1 week ago

Grenzo, Reanimation King
Legendary Planeswalker - Grenzo (Mythic Rare)
+1: Each player discards a card.
0: Search your library for a creature card with mana value less than or equal to the number of loyalty counters on Grenzo, then put that card into your graveyard. You lose 4 life.
-1: Return target creature card from your graveyard to your hand.
-4: Return target creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield.
Last edited by marioguy3 1 week ago, edited 1 time in total.
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor

Quick entry reminder - @OneAndOnly @wizyard @kwanyeegor-ii you all have less than 36 hours till the deadline. If anyone needs an extension they must ask before the deadline.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

wizyard

Post by wizyard » 1 week ago

Jace, the Mastermind 1UU
Legendary Planeswalker - Jace (M)
When Jace, the Mastermind enters the battlefield, search your library for a planeswalker card, reveal that card, put them into your hand, then shuffle.
Jace has all loyalty abilities of other planeswalkers you control.

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 1 week ago

The Just Wanderer 2WW
Legendary Planeswalker (Rare)
+1: You may put a Samurai or Warrior card with mana value 3 or less from your hand onto the battlefield. If you don't, create a 2/2 white Samurai creature token with vigilance.
-4: Exile The Just Wanderer from the battlefield or your graveyard, then return her to the battlefield transtormed under her owners control
Loyalty 3
/DFC/
The Just Emperor
{W} Legendary Creature - Human Samurai
Double strike, vigilance
Other Samurai and Warrior creatures you control get +1/+1 and have "when this creature dies, exile target creature an opponent controls."
If The Just Emperor would die, instead exile her, then return her to the battlefield under her owner's control (on the front side).
3/2
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor

Okay, round is closed! Please critique everyone else and post a T3.

Sagharri

Post by Sagharri » 1 week ago

critiques
Show
Hide
EsperCormorant
Ríonnach, Thoughtweaver

That first ability makes a small mess. If you can't kill it at once or kill some (guess at least 2-3 each turn) Kithkins, it will be a growing problem.
See [lotalty=down]-1[/loyalty] as fine together with static ability - without Kithkins on board you can still use ability just one last time.
About [lotalty=down]-9[/loyalty] there is problem that with nine Kithkins on board you may activate it each turn if opponent don't get rid of it, right? Anyway it is just consequence of static ability and it is beside that it is okay.

netn10
Grist, the Endless Swarm

I see what did you mean it should do.
But wording. Wording is an issue - what does mean 'killed'? There is sacrifice, destroy and state-based actions.
And paragraph in rules which will cause more issues
Rules 120.5.
Show
Hide
120.5. Damage dealt to a creature, planeswalker, or battle doesn't destroy it. Likewise, the source of that damage doesn't destroy it. Rather, state-based actions may destroy a creature or otherwise put a permanent into its owner's graveyard, due to the results of the damage dealt to that permanent.
So wording similar to Incendiary Oracle would be need or better prepare for calling judge ;)

OneAndOnly
Harkash of the Crag

It is rather pretty simple design.
However I see it a problem with things like "deals 1 damage to each creature and each player" so that -3 can turn into +X (no. of creatures and players reduced by 3).
Outside of such scenario I don't see issues with Harkash.

Ink-Treader
Dalti, Precept Forger

It is some interesting design, but...
+2 seems rather too universal/good - yes, I see that you must (most of time) choose between protection and cost reduction. And what does here quite universal cost reduction (by card name, but it allows on any card type)? Is it connected to in cost? But why then that also there. Feels (at least to me) a bit messy.
-10 is completely fine alone, but with above will leaves no counterplay/no fun.

marioguy3
Grenzo, Reanimation King

Rather don't have any big problem with abilities. Fit with Reanimation, but it isn't rather King.
Anyway it seems to me as one of most balanced card this round, but at the same time boring. Nothing to see really new or exciting.
Maybe I would only ask to bring it down to Rare.

wizyard
Jace, the Mastermind

Being honest I am not sure if planeswalker tutor is blue thing - rather it is white part of color pie with secondary to red/green combination.
Using your other planeswalker abilities is totally fine and quite fresh here. Isn't that more like master illusionist than mastermind?

kwanyeegor-ii
The Just Wanderer // The Just Emperor

Either not elegant or just done a bit too much carelessly.
[lotalty=down]-4[/loyalty] isn't rather working as intended.
After transform it won't be a fun to play against - hard to remove as it will flip back and you can practically sacrifice Samurai and Warrior creatures to exile opponent's creatures.
top 3
Show
Hide
1. OneAndOnly
2. wizyard
3. marioguy3
HM: Ink-Treader
Last edited by Sagharri 6 days ago, edited 4 times in total.

EsperCormorant

Post by EsperCormorant » 1 week ago

Criticism (scathing)
Show
Hide
netn10 wrote:
1 week ago
Grist, the Endless Swarm
This card just doesn't work, in more than one way. Straight life loss doesn't exist in monogreen, so this should really be multicolor rather than hybrid. Worse, you made a legendary card pop out copies of itself: the moment the second planswalker (sic) hits the field, the first is going to die. At which point you and your opponent get to pause the game and argue about whether that makes you 'the player that killed them' or not, because that's not a defined term. Just a mess, with a kind of compelling if hard-to-balance concept that completely torpedoes itself through shoddy writing and a failure to think things through.
Sagharri wrote:
1 week ago
Whenever an opponent attacks you or a planeswalker you control, Niko, Reality Shaper deals X damage to target attacking creature, where X is 1 plus number of Shards you control.
+1: Create a Shard token, then exile target creature or planeswalker you control until that Shard leaves the battlefield.
-2: Create a Shard token, then exile target creature or planeswalker you don't control until that Shard leaves the battlefield.
Interesting triggered ability, I'd have liked to see it worded a bit more clearly but this works. Big fan of the bouncing via shards: great flavor and interesting mechanics on that one. Interesting how Nico can just hide out in a shard when things get dicey, though it's more of a cool trick than something with hugely practical applications. Perhaps a bit suffocating once this gets rolling, but that's something a planeswalker is allowed to be.
OneAndOnly wrote:
1 week ago
Whenever a source you control deals 5 or more damage, put a loyalty counter on Harkash of the Crag.
-3 The next time this turn a source of your choice would deal damage, it deals 5 damage instead.
Interesting idea: I like the notion of caring about amount of damage dealt, and I think this could be fleshed out into a very interesting more traditional sort of walker.

But there's just not enough going on here to justify mythic status. Use this the turn you cast it, and it's a middling burn your opponent gets to target. Use it later, and it's a sitting duck for a round that both desperately needs you to bring the right deck and doesn't actually synergize much with such a deck. Let's not hype up '5 damage' too much: it's a +4/+0 power boost or a 3 damage upgrade for burns. I'd rather have Furnace of Rath out, or Where Ancients Tread, or Double Vision, or most any Chandra: all seem to do the 'burn boosts that stick around' thing a lot better.
Ink-Treader wrote:
1 week ago
When Dalti enters the battlefield and at the beginning of your upkeep, choose a card name. (Previously chosen names remain chosen.)
+2: Until your next turn, you and Dalti have protection from the named cards, and spells you cast that share a name with those cards cost 1W less to cast.
-10: You get an emblem with "Your opponents can only cast spells during their turn." and "Your opponents can't cast more than one spell each turn."
Gradually gaining immunity to your opponent's entire board (and/or whatever removal you can guess they have) feels white but not particularly elegant or well-designed. Ramping yourself into 7-drops on turn 5, on the other hand, doesn't even feel white. The ultimate feels like a distraction from the obvious braindead choice of Naming Whatever Your Opponent Cast Last Turn. The part where you have to guess at removal feels near-useless or format-warping, depending on the situation. And what's up with that colorless mana? Is dalti an eldrazi? A student of Ugin? Is it just there to cover up the color pie issues?
marioguy3 wrote:
1 week ago
Grenzo, Reanimation King
0: Search your library for a creature card with mana value less than or equal to the number of loyalty counters on Grenzo, then put that card into your graveyard. You lose 4 life.
Grenzo! What happened, man, last time I heard you were still warding that dungeon. At least I'm assuming this to be Grenzo, Dungeon Warden, but the pure black casting cost for what's a primarily red creature is throwing me off.

Anyway, it's a very strong and versatile reanimator-in-a-can alright, in a way I'm not sure I like. It's impactful, but so is getting hit in the head with a brick. Actually, the brick might be subtler: this practically screams at you to go tutor an Archon of Cruelty and bring it back the next turn. It's kind of middle-of-the-pack as far as entries go: I'm just standing here, shrugging at what is certainly a card but not one I'm excited about.
wizyard wrote:
1 week ago
Jace, the Mastermind 1UU
When Jace, the Mastermind enters the battlefield, search your library for a planeswalker card, reveal that card, put them into your hand, then shuffle.
A reasonably priced planeswalker tutor that subsequently also generates value, which is strong but not unconditionally so. Bit of an awkward snarl in how this helps you get walkers but really wants there to be one on the field already (how many planeswalkers does a typical deck run?), but I like how this sorta telegraphs your next turn will be really good while allowing your opponent a way out. A fun design! Planeswalker tutoring isn't super tightly tied to a color, but it is a mild pie break nonetheless, so that's a pity: you could've made this work better as a sort of leadership-focused white planeswalker, or a davriel maybe.
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
1 week ago
The Just Wanderer 2WW
+1: You may put a Samurai or Warrior card with mana value 3 or less from your hand onto the battlefield. If you don't, create a 2/2 white Samurai creature token with vigilance.
-4: Exile The Just Wanderer from the battlefield or your graveyard, then return her to the battlefield transtormed under her owners control
Loyalty 3
/DFC/
The Just Emperor
Double strike, vigilance
Other Samurai and Warrior creatures you control get +1/+1 and have "when this creature dies, exile target creature an opponent controls."
If The Just Emperor would die, instead exile her, then return her to the battlefield under her owner's control (on the front side).
3/2
I saw this was a flipwalker that represented a planeswalker becoming a creature, and I loved it right away. Genius, groundbreaking, evocative! Then I started reading and every word kind of made things worse.

Let's start with the merely ugly. 'Samurai of Warrior' is just how we're batching the tribes now, no objections. It took me a moment to understand you want the -4 ability to work even if the emperor goes to the graveyard for activating it, but it sure implies that you can activate it when she's dead. Worse, I don't think that this works given that cards in new zones become new objects: if I had to write something like this, I'd probably use 'a card named X' terminology, or even the dreaded "activate only if this card has X or more loyalty counters on it". Current version is awkward but interpretable, let's move on.

But the creature side? The samurai lord with vigilance and double strike is great, and maybe too good for a 4-mana that lands on the field, pops out a blocker, and flips next turn. The rider where your creatures all become removal spells is a little crazy. The returning to being a planeswalker is... actually unbelievable, from a lore and mechanics perspective both. Why did you add that? It's just unnecessary. And it just adds to the overal clutter of this card: just because you have two sides to play with doesn't mean you should cram them both full!

I think this is the card that's the biggest disappointment for me, just because I would've loved to see a serious take on desparkening planeswalkers but instead I got a kludgy mess that's three or four needless buffs ahead of where it should be. I still love your initial idea, but man, what a let-down.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. Sagharri, with Nico, Reality Shaper
2. Wizyard with Jace, the Mastermind
3. kwanyeegor-ii, with The Just Wanderer/Emperor, more for the reverse flipwalker concept than anything else
I picked this name before I knew Esper Cormorants was a card: believe it or not!

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 6 days ago

Ratings
Show
Hide

Does no-one else know how to use the "loyalty" tag? Minus one thousand points to everyone who didn't use them!
EsperCormorant wrote:
1 week ago
Ríonnach, Thoughtweaver
At the beginning of your upkeep, the number of loyalty counters on Ríonnach, Thoughtweaver becomes the number of Kithkin you control plus 1. (Put loyalty counters on it or remove loyalty counters from it equal to the difference)
-9: You gain an emblem with "Whenever you cast a white or blue spell, you may tap any number of untapped creatures you control. For every creature tapped this way, you draw a card if the spell was blue and you gain 3 life if the spell was white."
That's an interesting take on loyalty-setting abilities, but can get out hand rather quickly -- especially since the second ability feeds into the first. In the proper kindred or changeling deck, you could probably get to the -9 ultimate pretty quickly. As an ultimate it seems pretty weak, however, since you're not very likely to trigger it (or rather, profit off it triggering) multiple times in one turn. The thought of casting a 1MV cantrip then drawing three cards and gaining 9 life might be appealing to some, but has the problem of not actually finishing the game.
netn10 wrote:
1 week ago
Grist, the Endless Swarm
"The player that killed them" is unclear under the current rules, and I'm not certain how to clear it up. Direct damage spells are the source of their damage, not the player, so Shocking this dude doesn't actually trigger that second ability.

The first ability runs into weirdness with the legendary rule, plus becomes exponential unless you limit it to non-token copies creating copies of itself. The thought of creating 8 or 16 Grists, then -1-ing each to create a 1/1 ... and then leaving a horde of planeswalker tokens at just 1 loyalty forever just seems a little silly. It does prop the triggered ability quite nicely, I suppose.
Sagharri wrote:
1 week ago
aggggh, Shards are one my least favorite default token types. The flicker ability is little weak, since it's only operable as a sorcery, but once you have several in play starts to feel pretty impregnable. I don't really like that sort of swinginess.

That being said, props for actually using loyalty tags!

OneAndOnly wrote:
1 week ago
Criteria
Show
Hide
Ink-Treader wrote:
1 week ago
"Choose an additional card name"? It's nice that it can be used as either a benefit to yourself or a detriment to others. I expected the named cards to show up in the ultimate, with the same sort of benefit/detriment structure -- that would have been cool! As it is, for 10MV, the ultimate isn't very strong. I'd've expected "Other players can't cast spell with names chosen by Dalti" and "Whenever you cast a spell with a name chosen by Dalti, {something excellent}."

The cost reduction feels like it should either be colorless or white mana. -2MV is a pretty minor drawback, all things told. The protection only lasting a single turn feels pretty weak, especially given that, as a loyalty ability, it can't be activated in response to a spell.

marioguy3 wrote:
1 week ago
Grenzo, Reanimation King
Admittedly, he's a reanimation king, but the abilities start to feel a little redundant. The +1 gets ridiculous when spammed a lot, because I'm certain any deck built around this guy is going to be prepared to discard a lot (hellbent, madness, dredge, this guy ...) as opposed to opponents, who quickly end up not having any cards in hand during your turns. This all seems to point to long, grind-y sort of games, which I've never found much fun.

wizyard wrote:
1 week ago
Jace, the Mastermind 1UU
Clever; an extraordinary toolbox sort of card. Not really interesting on its own, and everyone's sick of Jace, buy my favorite so far.

kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
1 week ago
The Just Wanderer 2WW
Loyalty 3
/DFC/
The Just Emperor
Double strike, vigilance
3/2
Other than a frustratingly vague name, nice card. It's a cute twist (flip?) on previous creature/planeswalker DFCs. "When" should be capitalized.

Because of the uniqueness of the build, and some high-powered abilities, this one would deserve Mythic rarity. sigh.
Rankings
Show
Hide
1. wizyard's Jace the Mastermind
2. netn10's Grist, the Endless Swarm
3. Sagharri's Niko,' Reality Shaper
4. kwanyeegor-ii's Just Wanderer / Just Emperor
5. InkTreader's Dalti
6. EsperCormorant's Rionnach
7. marioguy3's Grenzo
Last edited by OneAndOnly 6 days ago, edited 2 times in total.

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 6 days ago

kwanyeegor-ii: There is a lot going on with the card. It feels quite complex to play (albeit looks fun to run).

Wizard: Strong, but interesting at the least.

Ink-Treader: I would like the emblem more if it cut off the last part and shrink the minus to something like -7 or -8. This is one of those miserable to play against walkers akin to the Karns of the world.

OneandOnly: Seems a bit weak to be a mythic planeswalker at four mana. I dunno, maybe a one card loot and a proliferate would make it feel more exciting.

Sagharri: I think this is a cool Planeswalker. Once the shard breaks, the creature is free. Generally solid flavor.

netn10: The ability about who "killed" Grist seems quite vague and lead to lots of judge calls.

EsperCormorant: I'd probably prefer if the loyalty number change was a "may" type of decision; otherwise, the card is one of the better ones in my eyes.

Top 3

3rd place: Wizyard
2nd place: EsperCormorant
1st place: Sagharri
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 6 days ago

Critiques
Show
Hide
Sagharri
Show
Hide
I could definitely see this being very insurmountable for certain decks if it can get rolling, and it also has a pretty good back up plan as being an alright blink piece.
EsperCormorant
Show
Hide
That's quite a lot of tokens, though probably fine. The ultimate is pretty incredible, but getting there isn't too easy.
OneAndOnly
Show
Hide
This should trigger multiple times off a mass damage spell, such as Blasphemous Act, which is pretty cool, but you can only use the damage boost once during each of your turns. I'd like to see this have the means to activate that ability multiple times a turn, with some adjustments to loyalty as needed. It's a cool concept though.
marioguy3
Show
Hide
Lore questions regarding Grenzo aside, this mostly feels like something that'll get used for repeated Entomb followed up with your own reanimation spells, throwing in the mass discard when necessary. It's cohesive, but a rather dry design.
wizyard
Show
Hide
A combo piece akin to Nicol Bolas, Dragon-God, but wholly devoted to that purpose. Certain a Superfriend, I'd think.
netn10
Show
Hide
I don't know that the rules quite support what this is trying to do, as worded anyway, but the intent is clear. Not that it should necessarily have it at this cost, but the I'm surprised the tokens are still legendary.
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
Recursive, but not annoyingly so. Kind of wish it were a little better with board wipes, by having it exile nonland permanents instead of just creatures.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. kwanyeegor-ii
2. EsperComorant
3. OneAndOnly

netn10

Post by netn10 » 4 days ago

EsperCormorant
Show
Hide
EsperCormorant wrote:
1 week ago
Ríonnach, Thoughtweaver
A Shadowmoor-flavored planeswalker is interesting, and we don't have any hybrid planeswalkers yet, so that's a plus. The upkeep ability is very unique, the -1 ability is very powerful as a "two blockers and two more loyalty counters despite being -1." The emblem is very much in line with Shadowmoor, with some "Good with Q, Conspire-adjacent, colors matters" themes. It also fits into a white-blue Kithkin deck, which is very unique. However, it gives mono white a lot of draw power and mono blue life gain because the tokens are white and blue, which I don't like.
Sagharri
Show
Hide
Sagharri wrote:
1 week ago
W{w/u}U is peaking my interest. The first ability looks very oppresive on paper but at least it only deals damage to a single creature and not all of them, The +1 is very good as a blink + scry and draw and the -2 is also very good. I do like how the +1 and -2 are mirrored.
OneAndOnly
Show
Hide
OneAndOnly wrote:
1 week ago
Criteria
Show
Hide
A very simple planeswalker, it could have very well been a rare and not a mythic. The triggered ability is a very nice puzzle; we don't get a lot of these with planeswalkers. The -3 ability is cool, and it can also feed the triggered ability, which again is a puzzle of how to make this more than a one-shot activated ability. Very interesting stuff.
Ink-Treader
Show
Hide
Ink-Treader wrote:
1 week ago
2CW is cool. The +2 is a very neat way to do "mana ramp" in mono white (although I can see people counting C as a separate thing from mono white). The -10 is neat; it's not a "win the game" ultimate, and it doesn't really work with the other two abilities, but I can see the theme. I wonder if it could've been -8. This card could have probably been just mono white, but the colorless adds a "twisted ramp" here.
marioguy3
Show
Hide
marioguy3 wrote:
1 week ago
Grenzo, Reanimation King
It doesn't have 3 abilities, it has 4! It's also a mono black Grenzo cosplaying as Jace + Liliana which is interesting. I love how the first two abilities work together. The name is pretty on the nose.
wizyard
Show
Hide
wizyard wrote:
1 week ago
Jace, the Mastermind 1UU
A very simple and powerful planeswalker. The ETB effect is mono white but can be bent to blue. The real meat here is the simple static line. The only comparison is Nicol Bolas, Dragon-God, which is three colors and also has other abilities to fall back on. Your card ranges from doing nothing to insanely powerful and everything in between. Very intriguing.
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
1 week ago
The Just Wanderer 2WW
Loyalty 3
/DFC/
The Just Emperor
Double strike, vigilance
3/2
A samurai-warrior themed planeswalker. I like it. The +1 ability is probably way too powerful for a +1 ability. It's a planeswalker that starts as a planeswalker and then becomes a creature, not vice versa, which is a cool subversion. The creature side is way more powerful than the planeswalker side, with the "die" ability having the potential to wreck the opponent. All in all, I really like this card; it feels very unique while using familiar materials.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1st: EsperCormorant
2nd: kwanyeegor-ii
3rd: OneAndOnly

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 3 days ago

Just a top 3
t3
Show
Hide
1 espercormorant
2 inktreader
3 sagharri
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

wizyard

Post by wizyard » 3 days ago

reviews
Show
Hide
EsperCormorant wrote:
1 week ago
Ríonnach, Thoughtweaver
i love kithkin and references to the thoughtweft. cool for them to have a planeswalker. the loyalty setting ability makes sense for their communal based mechanics. could be hard to deal with because it keeps resetting, which makes it interesting for play on the board. emblem has nice call back to shadowmoor enchantment cycle. would like to return there. the text of the emblem is a lil clunky, but in my opinion alotta shadowmoor was implemented clunkily so at least its evocative of that.
netn10 wrote:
1 week ago
Grist, the Endless Swarm
fascinating. i like the story here, i can imagine the epic fight against this swarm or mass. things that copy themselves can get out of hand but i like that as a planeswalker it's easier for opponents to deal with it directly. the flavor of planeswalkers leaving the battlefield used to be tied to their loyalty, and that flavor made more sense to me, but at some point they officially started calling it dying for planeswalkers to go to graveyard so whatever. it's still weird to me that change was made but it doesnt matter.

if you -1 Grist while its down to 1 loyalty does that mean you're the one who killed them? players will be uncertain and argue about this. i dunno what the rules would say, or what your intention is, either way it should be made clearer.

i went back n forth on this card, and im pretty sure it's too powerful. in that, yes it can be dealt with, but if its not dealt with right away it will run away with the game and become unstoppable. and i'd say the odds of that happening are not low enuff.
Sagharri wrote:
1 week ago
very cool. has a lot of character, an air of mystique. it stands out with the unique gimmick.

interesting that it can protect itself within a shard. the cost analysis between exiling your stuff or your opponents things is lovely.

fun to think about the combo potential, diff ways to built around. obviously its nice when planeswalkers can protect themselves and this does so in a few nuanced ways

in the right deck it might be too hard to deal with.
OneAndOnly wrote:
1 week ago
Criteria
Show
Hide
everyone's planeswalker designs are so interesting, and i usually dont care for planeswalker. now i feel like mine was boring and uninspired.

this one has a interesting also gamble mechanic minigame to it. you gotta invest in it and maybe you get something back from it.

i appreciate you made the hoops difficult bcuz the payoff to pretty good. alotta the time this kid will act as a one shot sorcery effect, which is still decent
Ink-Treader wrote:
1 week ago
i like how the decisions for what to name are open. pretty powerful in either direction. i'd say this has balancing issues and could get outta hand pretty easy, especially since it protects itself so easily. its a cool way to self protect, just maybe too easy.

pretty crazy levels of prison control and maybe not fun ultimately.
marioguy3 wrote:
1 week ago
Grenzo, Reanimation King
fairly elegant connected series of abilities. totally solid altogether and i like the poetry of it.
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
1 week ago
The Just Wanderer 2WW
-4: Exile The Just Wanderer from the battlefield or your graveyard, then return her to the battlefield transformed under her owners control
Loyalty 3
/DFC/
The Just Emperor
Double strike, vigilance
3/2
pretty cool. plays well in a dedicated deck, but still works well if picked up in limited without support.

appreciate the story beat presented here.

i like that deciding when to flip it is a skill test.
top 3
Show
Hide
1. Sagharri,
2. EsperCormorant,
3. OneAndOnly

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor

Post by void_nothing » 3 days ago

And our top four contestants:

@EsperCormorant
@Sagharri
@wizyard
@OneAndOnly

Next round will begin shortly!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”